Kotlin Quick Start for Java Developers
What you'll learn
- Key concepts/syntax of the Kotlin language
- Kotlin in the context of the IntelliJ IDE
- Object-oriented programming with Kotlin
- Functional programming with Kotlin
- Kotlin standard library (highlights)
- Kotlin-Java interop and migration strategies
- IntelliJ tips and tricks
- Setting up Gradle for Kotlin
- A basic knowledge of Java
- Our examples are in the form of junit test cases, so a basic understanding of what a unit test is, while not required, might be helpful.
In this course, I will guide you through a number of small examples and one modestly complex project. Through these examples, you'll learn the fundamental language features needed to create Kotlin applications.
This isn't an in-depth reference covering every detail of the language. Rather, it's a tutorial covering the most important parts of the language, the 80% that I use every day. After completing this course, you'll still have more to learn, but you'll have everything you need to start being productive with Kotlin.
The table of contents is not ordered in terms of Kotlin features. Rather, the course is organized by the business features we add to our sample project. We introduce new Kotlin concepts as the need organically arises in the context of building our project.
We'll be using the IntelliJ IDE. So you'll be learning the fundamentals of Kotlin in the context of one of the world's greatest IDEs. And that's important because Kotlin, when teamed with IntelliJ, provides the most productive programming environment I ever used. With that said, this course is still appropriate for those who just want to learn Kotlin but don't plan on using IntelliJ.
Who this course is for:
- Java Developers wanting to quickly get up to speed with Kotlin fundamentals
I have been a software developer, trainer and consultant since the late 90s. I have worked with dozens of languages and platforms including server-side web, client-side web and mobile.
My projects include car configurators for global car companies, back office apps for small businesses and everything in between. My company, Smart Soft, does development, training and consulting.