Kotlin for Android Developers
- 2 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Run a Kotlin application and understand its integration with Android Studio
- Incorporate Kotlin into new/existing Android Java-based projects
- Upgrade your toolbox and learn about Kotlin Android Extensions
- Define various types of class and deal with properties
- Delve into control-flow along with mutable and immutable values
- Build a Stock Trading app using higher-order functions in Kotlin.
In this video, we will understand how to create and invoke a simple function in Kotlin and run the application.
The aim of the video is to explain that data classes are a better substitute for POJOs.
- Some basic familiarity with Android Studio is expected.
Kotlin is a trending language for modern Android developers and enables you to build Android apps faster and more conveniently than in Java! This course helps Android developers switch from Java and to Kotlin for Android development; it teaches you the essential Kotlin features you need to know to do this!
This course starts by introducing you to Android Studio where you'll build your first application in Kotlin. After this, you will delve into the Kotlin Toolbox for Kotlin Android Extensions. You will also compare classes and functions in Kotlin and also control flow and loops. We'll discuss some problems in Java and how Kotlin fixes them, and how Kotlin tackles many of Java's drawbacks such as verbosity and null safety. You will also get into exciting topics such as extension functions. Finally, you'll build a Stock Trading app entirely in Kotlin while comparing some parts to Java to ease the transition.
By the end of this course, you will be comfortable developing an Android application using only the Kotlin language. You will no longer be dependent only on Java to do this.
About the Author
Yusuf Saber is an Android developer with over 5 years' professional experience. Yusuf earned his Master’s degree in Computer Engineering from Ryerson University in 2011 and started his career as a .NET developer before quickly turning to Android. He has worked for a large range of Android apps, from social to multimedia to B2B and more!
- This course is aimed at developers who are familiar with Android programming using the Java programming language. Some basic familiarity with Android Studio is expected. This course teaches you how to implement several common tasks in Kotlin that you would normally have implemented using Java. Some understanding of the JVM platform is assumed.