Creating Characters for Fiction.
What you'll learn
- Create characters that are fully integrated with their stories.
- You should be able to both write and read in English.
"Kitless Character Creation" - conceive and develop characters without kits, tricks or gimmicks.
If you're writing a novel you already know that a novel needs characters.
- But where do characters come from?
- How do you invent characters that are compelling, convincing and realistic?
- What sort of characters does your story need?
Kitless Character Creation is a set of tools and techniques wrapped around one big idea:
Characters are created at the same time as the story.
Once you've grasped the relationship between characters and story, and how they interact during the creative process, you will find it much easier to create and manage your characters, to recognize their purpose and role in the story, and you'll see much more easily how your characters affect your readers.
In this course, you will learn how to use this relationship, and how it relates to all the common features of creating and developing characters:
- introducing new characters
- describing what characters look like
- describing what characters think and feel
- how the reader should get to know your characters
- the effect of narrative voice and point of view on characters
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to become an author
- Experienced authors of fiction
I've spent the last 10 years working with authors to get their books ready for publication, and then getting them published in the new e-book/e-reader/print-on-demand market. Some of my authors have gone on to get publishing contracts, and others are both traditionally and self published, including multi-award-winner Kary English.
My regular clients rely on me to understand and stimulate their creative process. We work together from development of the first story idea , through the drafting, redrafting and editing, right up to packaging and book launch; or they call me in at whatever stage they need me.