Guitar Lessons for Beginner Guitar Players
What you'll learn
- Beginner Guitar Fundamentals (Intro to Chords, Scales, Soloing, and Music Theory concepts)
- Beginner Guitar Chords: Intro to open chords ("campfire chords") and chord progressions
- Beginner Guitar Scales: Intro to the major, major pentatonic, minor, and minor pentatonic scales (G major, E minor)
- Beginner Guitar Soloing: Intro to learning "riffs" or short melodies and how to solo over a chord progression
- Beginner Guitar Music Theory: Musical Alphabet, Intro to Keys, Scale Degrees, Basics of Transposing a Song
- Beginner Guitar song recommendations using the concepts taught in the course and how to learn a song
- Beginner Guitar Blues (Chords, Blues "Shuffle", Soloing)
- Intro to Power Chords ("Rock" Chords)
- Reading chord diagrams, chord progressions, and tablature ("tab")
- Navigate online resources in order to learn songs and further one's learning on the guitar and music in general
- No prior knowledge of guitar and/or music needed
- Guitar (Acoustic or Electric) is needed, but the first module will give you direction in acquiring one if need be
- Tuner (Module 1 will give direction in acquiring a tuner and how to use one)
Congratulations on checking out my Beginner Guitar Course!
Yes I say "congratulations" because it means you are already taking initiative to pursue something you may have never tried before. That takes courage to go for something new and is very exciting!
That's what this course is all about, diving into something new. New skills, new concepts, new terms and "shop talk", potential you never realized you had, and an overall new discovery of the joy of playing music on the guitar!
My goal in creating this course was to make it as easy and efficient and enjoyable as possible for a brand new beginner, or close to total beginner, to learn how to play the guitar. This course guides you through the fundamentals and techniques needed to play, as well as gives you the opportunity to put into practice those new skills with various exercises and jam track videos. As you develop these skills more and more, you will be ready to check out various songs you wish to learn in the online world through Ultimate Guitar, Youtube, etc. I know this typically is the main goal of someone wanting to learn the guitar, so that's why the concepts taught equip you to learn any particular song you wish to learn at your respective level, and as you progress from this course into the next level of playing.
One of the key things my instructor taught me was how to teach myself. This course is designed to prepare you with the knowledge needed to pursue whatever direction you wish to go as you progress through the course and upon completion. Do you want to be able to play fun songs around a campfire with friends and family? You will learn many of the essential "campfire" and standard chords for this, as well as where to find great resources online for learning your favourite songs (there are a tonne!). Do you want to become a lead guitar player and shred!? This course will give you the fundamental knowledge and basic skills to begin your journey to taking a killer, or gentle and sweet :), solo to win your way into the hearts of millions......or something like that right? :) But in all seriousness, whether I'm teaching the more campfire type material, which I start with, or the beginnings of more technical type material like scales and riffs, I make sure to go very slow and take you through each concept step by step so that the general total beginner will be able to grasp the material being taught without feeling too overwhelmed (note that I do go into some theory (note names, scale degrees, etc) with some of the material, that you may wish, or not wish, to try and fully wrap your mind around...no offence taken if not!). Of course you can always pause the video and rewind, etc, in order to camp out on a certain concept. I know I have to do that all the time when learning something new!
The real key to success is to take a methodical approach to learning the guitar. This course is designed to do that! Surprise! And I'll even just tell you straight up right now, learning chords, scales, riffs (short solos), and songs at your respective level, will give you pretty much all the skills you'll ever need to play the guitar and to learn how to progress in whatever genre you wish. Therefore, this course gets you started learning chords, scales and riffs, and teaches you how to then find songs to learn online and continue a snowball momentum of continuous learning the guitar with any and all of the great resources that are out there.
BELIEVE you can accomplish playing the guitar and discover the joy of playing, because I believe you can!
(Oh...and just so you know...you'll get an introduction to playing the blues also! Cause what guitar player doesn't want to learn how to play the blues?!!?)
Enjoy your journey learning one of the most fun instruments to play!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner Guitar Players
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those who never thought they could play guitar (Pssst.....You can!! Especially with the help of this course!)
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those who don't have the time and money to enrol in full time lessons
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those revisiting the basic concepts of playing if they forget everything they learned
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those interested in pursuing the skills needed to learn songs to play around a campfire, open mic, etc
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those interested in eventually learning how to solo and jam with other musicians
- Beginner Guitar Lessons for those interested in starting a journey in acquiring the skills needed to play in a band
Justin Hazel (born August 19, 1985), is a professional guitar player and beginner guitar instructor based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Starting out on piano at age 7, Justin learned to develop an appreciation for music early on, and continued to progress in his musical training on the instrument to the end of high school. Meanwhile, at age 12 he decided to take up playing guitar as well. It was the guitar that he eventually fell in love with most (although still very much enjoys the piano), and would eventually go on to get a Jazz Diploma at Mount Royal University in Calgary.
The genres Justin most enjoys playing are blues, rock, country, pop, acoustic, crooner jazz and singer/songwriter music, among many other sub genres. He has played in various groups over the years that incorporate these styles to some degree or another. Currently he plays in a rock group with a Latin jazz and pop influence as well. He also has studied a lot of John Mayer's guitar work over the years (particularly the entire Where The Light Is live album) to develop a general overall playing ability on the acoustic and electric guitar.
For 10 years now, Justin has been teaching beginner guitar. Although capable of teaching higher level players, he has enjoyed learning how to meet the needs of a student with little or no background in guitar and/or music. Justin also currently knows what it's like to be a beginner student as he has been learning another language over the last few years. And therefore understands the struggles a beginner can have learning the "language" of something new. Over the years he has developed an effective method to give students the proper instruction and resources needed to learn how to progress in their understanding of music and guitar playing capabilities.
Most importantly, Justin desires for his students to BELIEVE they are able to play the guitar and to discover the JOY of playing. Remember, everything worth pursuing takes time, but it's never too late to start your journey on the guitar!