Complete Teacher Wellbeing in Schools
What you'll learn
- Strategies for improving the well-being of staff and students in a school community (leadership)
- How to implement policies that will lead to genuine teacher wellbeing in a school community (leadership)
- How teachers can look after themselves in a school environment (teacher)
- How the best schools transform student behaviour (leadership and teacher)
- How some schools are reforming their approach to teacher performance management (leadership)
- Some contextual knowledge of educational systems would be helpful but not essential
- Some experience of working within or around schools would be helpful but not essential
How can teachers, middle leaders, senior leaders and headteachers help each other to stay in the profession? As unprecedented numbers of teachers in the UK leave teaching due to the demands of the job, this course aims to deliver a collection of cutting edge strategies that school leaders and classroom teachers can implement immediately to keep teachers teaching. The key to the future of our young people is in the education they receive and this course takes a serious look at how schools can prevent "teacher burnout" and retain their best. The course includes video lectures, articles, downloadable resources and even diagnostic quizzes to support you, the teacher or school leader, in creating a culture of positive well-being in your school.
The course includes:
An exploration of policies that can enhance teacher wellbeing
How to inspire change from below in schools
How to protect your own mental health and that of others
Some strategies to support positive behaviour for learning both in classrooms and around school
Strategies to reduce marking and assessment workload
A discussion of toxic school cultures and how to avoid them and change them
Contributions from leading educators like Katharine Birbalsingh, Georgina Young, Pete Sanderson and Sam Strickland.
Exclusive articles and written content to supplement learning
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who is interested in how to develop genuine (teacher) wellbeing in schools
- The course is aimed at aspiring middle leaders, middle leaders, senior leaders and headteachers but will benefit anyone interested in teacher wellbeing
I'm Tom Rogers, a passionate and experienced educator from the UK.
I started my professional teaching career as a High School teacher in 2007 and went on to become a Head of Department in 2013. In September 2016, I took up the role of Head of History at O Castro British International School in Vigo, Spain. In January 2019, I became an assistant headteacher for teaching and learning. I'm now back in the UK.
I have founded, organised and co-hosted #TMHistoryIcons, the only national TeachMeet for History teachers in the UK. Its inaugural meeting took place in March 2016 in Chester and was attended by more than 100 teachers. The second event took place in April 2017, the third in April 2018 and the latest in April 2019. The "teachmeet icons" franchise has now expanded to include Maths, English, Science and Geography strands, becoming one of the most significant grassroots teacher movements in the UK.
I currently write a column for the TES, the largest educational publication in the UK.
I am the director of RogersHistory, an online educational platform which was used by more than 100 schools and 1000 students in the last academic year. My youtube channel supports students to achieve their academic goals and has accrued 100,000 views. I am followed by more than 30,000 educators (and others) on twitter.
I try to bring my passion for teaching and learning into all my Udemy courses. The way in which my courses are planned reflects my current professional role and subject expertise.