KATANA | Mastering LookDev & Lighting for the VFX industry
What you'll learn
- Be able to fully control and understand Katana to help you get started in the industry
- Gain important software requirement skills in Katana for job applications
- Hands-on information and workflows from experienced artist
- Creating tools to help you become more efficient as an artist in the industry
- Develop Macros, OpScripts and other helper tools
- Becoming a versatile artist and land a job in the industry
- Fulfill the additional application requirement to be proficient in katana.
- A technical understanding is needed to fulfill this course requirements
- Recommended to know Arnold renderer
- Problem solving skills and logical thinking
- Eager to learn new techniques and workflows
- Working with node based editors is a plus
Arvid Schneider is an established artist, who has been working in the professional VFX industry for more than 10 years. He has worked on big blockbusters like Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Ready Player One, Jurassic World, Transformers and many more.
With his knowledge and expertise, Arvid has prepared a detailed course to get to know and understand the industry standard lighting and look development software Katana. This course will help you to jump-start your career by becoming an advanced lighting and shading TD in today's competitive industry.
This course is tagged for all levels - but it gets Intermediate and Advanced fairly quickly!
This is a technical and artistic course which means that it will contain quite a lot of theory, bit also artistic hands-on lectures.
This course is using Katana for Windows and Arnold as the main software tools. (But all topics can be achieved on Linux or Mac workstations, the same applies for other renderers).
Gain real production insights
Fully understand how to work within Katana and to understand important workflows
Create your own powerful macros and templates to organize your work
Technical course on how to create advanced templates within Katana
Advanced LookDev and Lighting practices
Opscripts, Graph State Variables, Reference Expressions, Macros, Live Groups, Variable Switches
Introduction to Katana - installation, navigation, UI
Principles of Look Development and Lighting
Creating advanced and versatile Look and Lighting templates
Look development of production assets
Shot lighting of production assets
You will be able to fully work with Katana at a high level.
Directly jump into a VFX company with advanced knowledge in templates and workflows.
Create and customize custom workflows.
Develop tools and macros.
What this course is NOT
Not teaching a specific renderer (Course is applicable to other renderers).
Not about modelling, texturing or animation.
Will not teach about Python or Lua or other programming languages.
Who this course is for:
- Students who want to work professionally in the VFX industry and need a good understanding of the software Katana
- Beginner level artists curious to learn VFX standards
- Artists who want to add another set of tools to their toolbag
Arvid loves being creative and technical at the same time, that is why he has been working in the industry as a technical director for leading VFX companies like ILM, MPC, Cinesite. In his 10+ years experience Arvid has worked on several big shows like Transformers, Ready Player One, Jurrassic World, James Bond - Spectre, to name the most recent.
Arvid is specialized in the look development and lighting field, where all the pipeline departments come together to create the final rendered image. Technical and artistic expertise is needed to compete in the high end industry of VFX.
For this reason Arvid is very keen to share and help other artists, new comers or even advanced artists in the look development and lighting field.
Arvid is also developing pipeline optimizations tools to improve efficiency of artists and production. Most of the code is written in python, a little part is C++.
Apart from developing third party tools for rendering packages, he also develops applications for iOS and macOS using Swift.