What you'll learn
- Learn about proper growing regions, farm set-up and seed selection.
- Understand proper nursery set-up and management to ensure maximum germination.
- Learn about the various development stages (transplanting to harvest), crop care and proper management practices to ensure maximum output.
- Understand the economics and cash needs of the business and how to prepare to source a reliable market.
- No requirements needed
The Kale crop has become an essential crop in contemporary society because it is readily available and affordable. In addition, it has nutritional benefits and can be used in many recipes alongside other starch and proteins. The kale crop is presented in several types: Traditional Kales, Collard greens, Thousand-headed kales, and Curly kales. All the types are grown in an almost similar way. Growing this crop is relatively easy and needs basic crop production skills.
At the end of this course, you will understand the basics of kale production and will be ready to grow or improve your farm!
What will you learn
THE BASICS -Learn about proper growing regions, farm setup and seed selection.
NURSERY DEVELOPMENT -Understand proper nursery setup and management to ensure maximum germination.
KALE DEVELOPMENT STAGES -Learn about the various development stages (transplanting to harvest), crop care and proper management practices to ensure maximum output.
ECONOMICS & MARKETS -Understand the economics and cash needs of the business and how to prepare to source a reliable market.
Lessons Include :
2. Seed selection
3. Water requirements
5. Land preparation
7. Starting stage
8. Vegetative stage
10. Harvesting stages
11. Economics of production
"I like the teaching on pest control and fertilizing the kale plant. The teacher was comprehensive and knowledgeable."
The course on Kale farming is very illuminating and has depth. I enjoyed it so much.
Who this course is for:
- An existing farmer who wants to improve their kale farm and make more profits
- A soon-to-be kale farmer who wants to get things done right the first time.
- You are dreaming of becoming a kale farmer and want to learn as much as you can before taking the leap.
eLengo develops the next generation of agribusiness owners across sub-Saharan Africa and beyond by providing online training through all areas of the agriculture value chain - crops, livestock, business skills and value addition. Our goal is to improve the economic prospects and livelihoods of our students.
All of our instructors are certified experts and practitioners in their field, and our courses are filmed on real farms so you can see actual demonstrations and examples of the course material.