Latin III: Julius Caesar's Gallic War (de Bello Gallico)
What you'll learn
- Understand Julius Caesar's time period
- Discuss the significance of Julius Caesar and his conquest of Gaul
- Read and understand slightly adapted Latin text of "de Bello Gallico"
- All basic Latin grammar covered
- One or two years of Latin
- Purchase Henle's "Latin Second Year" (physical or digital)
This class is a mix of historical lectures and "discussions" of the Latin passages that the students will read in their original language. Students who have the basics of Latin mastered and the proper interest in Roman history will thoroughly enjoy this course. Through videos of the instructor lecturing, screen recordings of powerpoint presentations and Google Earth animations, this multi-faceted class will keep the students motivated and excited to learn. Roman history and culture, army strategy and tactics, politics of the first century BC, Latin language are all elements that will be covered in the coming lessons.
Evaluations through quizzes will provide automatic feedback to students as they move through the presentations.
Who this course is for:
- Students who have the basics of Latin grammar mastered
- Students who have had a very intensive year of Latin grammar
- Students who have had two years of Latin Grammar
- Not for students who are only interested in Roman history (Latin language background necessary)
- Students 7th grade and beyond (with appropriate Latin background and maturity)
I am a French-speaking Swiss native born in Lausanne. After completing my primary and secondary education in the homeland, I moved to Southern California for college. I attended Cal Poly Pomona and got hired at Loyola High School after graduation. I have been working at this college prep school since 1998 as a French and Latin instructor.
A little bit over ten years ago, we started homeschooling our children and I quickly became aware of the need for Latin instructors in this field. I began teaching children who are homeschooled and had a great time doing this in person. Due to professional schedule changes I have had to consider new avenue to teach my homeschoolers. That is why I am now on Udemy.
Learning a language not only open possibilities to engage with people from different parts of the world but it also open one's mind like not many other experiences.
I hope you enjoy my classes.