Beginner Nikon Digital SLR (DSLR) Photography
What you'll learn
- You will learn how to see your images in a more sophisticated way, like a professional photographer.
- You will add exposure to your photographer's tool belt and learn how it impacts many visual elements of your images.
- You will learn how to adjust your aperture and why you would choose one aperture over another.
- You will learn how to adjust your shutter speed and why you would choose one shutter speed over another.
- You will learn how all of the modes (Auto, P, S, A and M) work and when you should be using each mode.
- You will learn to recognize the difference between depth-of-field blur and motion blur.
- You'll start spending more time observing and capturing beautiful moments around you, rather than staring down at your camera feeling confused.
- You should own (or have borrowed) a Nikon DSLR. This class applies to all Nikon cameras that have a model number that starts with "D," (some examples: D4, D610, D7100).
You'll learn how all those buttons and dials work on your Nikon DSLR. Including the exercises, this course will take you about 2.5 hours. Through the exercises you'll do and through the explanations of the concepts, JP is committed that you retain the information there is to retain without memorizing. There is about an hour of video lecture which covers exposure, aperture, shutter speed and the mode dial (Auto, P, S, A and M). Images will be shown as examples. The exercises will be explained fully. This course is perfect for anyone who considers themselves a beginner with their Nikon DSLR or for anyone who has some existing knowledge about how their camera works but hasn't quite put all the puzzle pieces together when it comes to how aperture and shutter speed work together. This class is for you if you don't know how all the modes (Auto, P, S, A and M) work on your camera and when you should be using each mode.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for absolute beginners and for people with some knowledge of how their cameras work but who haven't yet put all the puzzle pieces together of how aperture and shutter speed work together.
JP Teaches Photo, run by JP Pullos, Lydia Billings, and their team of teachers, has taught over 40,000 people how to use their cameras since 2009.
Their "How Do I Use My Camera?" class was chosen by NY Magazine as one of the top ten things to do over Memorial Day weekend, and their courses have been highlighted as some of THE best in NYC overall.
JP has been a professional photographer for six years. In that time, his images have been published by The New York Times, GQ, New York Magazine, Women’s Wear Daily, The New York Observer, The Village Voice and Time Out New York.
Lydia Billings, the company's lead teacher, has been a photographer since age ten. She received a BFA in Fine Art Photography in 2013 and has been teaching since then! She is a professional wedding, portrait, and lifestyle photographer.
Our classes exist because we’re committed to unleashing creativity, self-expression, and pure UNBRIDLED joy on the planet!