Jingzhu teaches you Chinese piano music
What you'll learn
- Piano techniques - we teach you the knowledge you need to learn this course even if you are a total beginner in piano playing.
- Chinese music melodies - we introduce you the indigenous real time popular Chinese tunes people actually adore in China.
- Oriental music characteristics - we teach you how oriental music is different from western music (different scale it uses or example)
- Chinese culture behind - every piece we teach reflects the aspects of the Chinese culture and Chinese people's lives related.
- You don't need to know anything about Chinese music, we'll teach you everything you need to know to be able to play the piece.
Hello pianists! I know we have all taken piano lessons learning pieces composed by Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, to name a few, and most of us probably have tried freestyle improvisation of jazz and blues. Who doesn’t like to jam with friends! But is that all we can do for our music journey in life? I don’t think so! As a pianist who grew up in China, and graduated in California. I feel impelled to introduce you to a different world of music - Chinese music, for the calmness, tenderness and gracefulness it can bring you in today’s stressful life full of technologies. Besides pushing ourselves to pursue success and excellency, sometimes, all we need is just a moment to smell the flowers. And Chinese music often embraces a feeling of natural beauty, like a stream in the bamboo woods flowing around the lush mountains, and can help you relax your body and mind.
For this series, we arranged 8 melodies, ranging from traditional folk music to popular tunes. These music are so famous that everyone in China knows about them. We will also talk about the l Chinese culture behind. We hope you have been exposed to basic music theory before, so it’ll be easier to layer the Chinese music theory on top of it. However, we will still teach you the basics related to each piece, Just make sure you contact us if you have any questions along the way. Let us know your needs. Even though, this is online courses, we want you to feel like home. And we’ll always support you through the journey. Ok, let’s do this!
Who this course is for:
- People that are interested in knowing traditional Chinese music with or without basic piano skills.
Ms Jingzhu Chen started taking private piano lessons at the age of five, and became best-friends-forever with her Yamaha at home through both happiest and saddest times of her life. She holds a bachelor of music degree in piano performance, and has been a frequent performer, as both soloist and accompanist, around San Francisco Bay Area on a variety of occasions, from fancy concert/recital hall stage to Saint Helena's wine party.
She has taught piano lessons to elementary school students from 4 years old to 12 in Sonoma County School District, as well as her friends in their 50s. She has also volunteered to play for nursing homes and seniors with Alzimer disease.
She believes in the healing power of music, and would love to share her journey in music with you and make music a relevant positive force for everyone.