Jewish Studies 102: Intro to Jewish Literature
- Jewish Studies 101: Intro the Jewish Studies
This course serves as an introduction to Jewish Literature. Jewish literature can be sacred and spiritual for the Jewish tradition, and it can be analyzed and deconstructed by academia. In this course, you will gain a foundational understanding of BOTH the spiritual and academic perspectives on Jewish literature. You will not only understand the basics of Jewish literature, but you will also learn how to access the literature online, and you will also be able to understand how Jewish literature is utilized as a way of celebrating Jewish holidays and commemorating dates on the Hebrew calendar. This information is useful for anybody looking to incorporate Jewish literature as a spiritual practice, OR for anybody who is just interested in learning about a very complex and beautiful literary tradition that can bring meaning to lives of all people.
- Anyone who is respectful and curious about the Jewish tradition
- The Sefaria Library09:39
- What exactly is the Torah?07:34
- Written Torah vs. Oral Torah04:06
- The Hebrew Bible, AKA the Tanakh07:13
- The Written Torah in daily traditional Jewish life10:34
- The Oral Torah is mainly the Mishnah, the Talmud, and the Midrash09:10
- The Oral Torah in daily traditional Jewish life11:20
- Geonim, Rishonim, and Acharonim04:56
- BONUS LECTURE: Kabbalistic Astrology04:06
Devin Egber: Jewish Educator, Songwriter, Storyteller
Equipped with my Master's degree in Jewish Studies from Hebrew University in Jerusalem, I create academic courses on Jewish Studies and Astrology. My courses are appropriate for both adults and children who are interested in supplementing and/or expanding their Jewish Education and/or personal development.
My courses touch on Jewish History, Jewish Literature, Jewish Learning as a Spiritual Practice, and Kabbalistic Astrology. My research focus is Kabbalah Literature.
I'm also on Youtube! Just search my name 'Devin Egber' and subscribe to my channel in order to stay up to date on all my online content.
Before purchasing one of my more advanced courses, try one of my free courses to get a feel for how I teach. Remember this: There is a difference between studying and learning. My teaching makes that difference clear.