Getting Started with Java
What you'll learn
- Install Java on your local machine
- Write, Compile and Run a Hello, World application from the command line.
- Install IntelliJ and be productive inside this awesome IDE
- Understand what a build tool is and create a Java project from scratch
- Understand where to find help when they get stuck
- You will need a PC or a Mac.
- If you're a seasoned Java veteran this course isn't for you.
- A desire to learn about how to setup your local development environment.
- Interest in learning about the Java world.
I recently purchased a new laptop and thought to myself, this would be a great time to show others how I setup my machine for Java development, and that is how this course was born.
I want to make sure I am very upfront about who this course is for and who it isn't for. If you are an experienced Java developer this course probably isn't for you. If you are new to programming or new to the Java language this course is for you.
When I started out writing Java I always got confused with all the Acronyms in the language. What is the difference between the JRE and the JDK, what is the JVM and what is an SDK. We will answer all of these questions and more. We will also discuss how to install Java and switch between different versions. While we are at it we might as well write our first Java program.
Next, we will move into Installing my favorite IDE, IntelliJ. From there I will walk you through a ton of features of the IDE. All of these features are there to make you a more productive Java developer.
My hope for you is that this course will give you a peek into the world of Java as you begin your journey. You might not use everything in this course right away but if they come up in conversations at school or with coworkers you will know exactly what they are talking about. I look at courses like a good book. If you can take away just 1 or 2 ideas from the course, I have done my job.
I LOVE the Java programming language and hope that I can make your entry into this wonderful language an easy one.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in getting started with the Java Programming Language
- Students who have just begun their journey in the world of Java
- Students who want to learn from someone who has 18 years of experience in the field
Hi, I’m Dan Vega. I am a Software Engineer living just outside of one of my favorite places in the world, Cleveland, Ohio I am a self-taught programmer who firmly believes that you can accomplish anything in this life if you put your mind to it, roll up your sleeves, and are willing to put in the work.
I have been writing software for over 20+ years now and I use my knowledge, passion, and influence to help other developers achieve their goals. I teach online and currently, have over 150,000 students.
When I am not writing software I have a number of things that really keep me busy. I love to read books, listen to podcasts, and watch online courses. I have a real thirst for knowledge and it consumes me every single day of the week. I also love to run & lift heavy weights which keep me balanced throughout the week.