Java: Develop Programming Skills with Java 9: 3-in-1
What you'll learn
- Gain object-oriented programming skills by understanding its principles such as objects, classes, inheritance, abstract classes, and interfaces
- Write simple Java programming examples in the Java Shell (JShell)
- Modularise large and complicated Java applications
- Use lambda expressions to write flexible and succinct code
- Explore how you can blend object-oriented and functional programming styles in Java
- Write more readable functional code, to process discrete data sets using the stream interface
- No prior knowledge of Java required. However, basic understanding of Java programming language will be helpful.
When it comes to learning programming skills, knowing how to program in Java with different styles is a clear advantage in your career, because with Java your code is more than just code! Whether you're developing a robust enterprise backend, building the frontend, or thriving in a DevOps role, having Java programming skills can up your game.
This comprehensive 3-in-1 course teaches you to write Java applications using its diverse programming styles, object-oriented, modular, and functional. You’ll learn through practical demonstrations, clear explanations, and interesting real-world code examples. It will give you a versatile range of Java programming skills, which you will put to work in your own Java applications to make them enterprise-ready. This learning path is divided into clear sections so you can learn at your own pace and focus on your own area of interest.
This training program includes 3 complete courses, carefully chosen to give you the most comprehensive training possible.
The first course, Learning Java 9 – Object Oriented Programming, starts off with showing you how to install Java 9, Maven, and the IntelliJ Community Edition on your system. You will then be introduced to the concepts of object-oriented programming such as objects, classes, inheritance, abstract classes, and interfaces with the help of examples. You will also learn primitive types and data structures. Next, you will demonstrate common data types such as lists, maps, and sets with the help of examples. Finally, you will learn how to load a simple text file into list data set and sort it.
The second course, Learning Java 9 – Modular Programming, starts by diving deep into advanced object-oriented concepts such as inner classes, object composition, encapsulation, and polymorphism which will be demonstrated through a simple extension to a vehicle modeling example. You will then demonstrate how to correctly manage external dependencies in Java with the use of Maven. You will also be introduced to the new features of Java 9 with the help of Project Jigsaw. Project Jigsaw is one of the most substantial changes to the Java programming language in recent years, here you will understand the goals of the project, as well as the impact it has on the world. Finally, this course concludes with an example on how to modularize a larger and more complicated Java application.
The third course, Learning Java 9 - Functional Programming, begins with explaining data structures in Java with the help of practical examples such as implementing a "Pair" class, and using a generic comparator function to sort a list of generic objects. You will then learn the use of generic function in Java with some common usage patterns. You will also explore the benefits of writing functional code in Java with a couple of examples. Next, you will learn an example wherein you will start with a simple list of data points, before using a traditional for loop to first filter, then sort, then manipulate, and finally reduce the list of data points. Finally, you will write a similar example using functional programming, providing a perfect example of some of the benefits it provides when working with data sets.
By the end of this Learning Path, you will leverage the power of Java 9 to write Java code in object-oriented, modular, and functional styles for building powerful Java applications.
Meet Your Expert(s):
We have the best work of the following esteemed author(s) to ensure that your learning journey is smooth:
- Colibri is a technology consultancy company founded in 2015 by James Cross and Ingrid Funie. The company works to help its clients navigate the rapidly changing and complex world of emerging technologies, with deep expertise in areas such as big data, data science, machine learning, and cloud computing. Over the past few years it has worked with some of the world's largest and most prestigious companies, including a tier 1 investment bank, a leading management consultancy group, and one of the world's most popular soft drinks companies, helping each of them make better sense of its data and process it in more intelligent ways. The company lives by its motto: Data -> Intelligence -> Action. James Cross is a Big Data Engineer and certified AWS Solutions Architect with a passion for data-driven applications. He spent the last 3-5 years helping his clients to design and implement huge scale streaming Big Data platforms, Cloud-based analytics stacks, and serverless architectures. He started his professional career in Investment Banking, working with well-established technologies such as Java and SQL Server, before moving into the Big Data space. Since then he worked with a huge range of Big Data tools including most of the Hadoop ecosystem, Spark and many NoSQL technologies such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis and DynamoDB. More recently his focus has been on Cloud technologies and how they can be applied to data analytics, culminating in his work at Scout Solutions as CTO, and more recently with Mckinsey.
Who this course is for:
- This Learning Path is for novice developers looking to get started with programming in Java 9. This Learning Path is also for experienced Java developers who wish to further enhance their object-oriented, modular, and functional programming skills.
Packt has been committed to developer learning since 2004. A lot has changed in software since then - but Packt has remained responsive to these changes, continuing to look forward at the trends and tools defining the way we work and live. And how to put them to work.
With an extensive library of content - more than 4000 books and video courses -Packt's mission is to help developers stay relevant in a rapidly changing world. From new web frameworks and programming languages, to cutting edge data analytics, and DevOps, Packt takes software professionals in every field to what's important to them now.
From skills that will help you to develop and future proof your career to immediate solutions to every day tech challenges, Packt is a go-to resource to make you a better, smarter developer.
Packt Udemy courses continue this tradition, bringing you comprehensive yet concise video courses straight from the experts.