My name is Jasper. My aim is to combine modern music education with elements of learning research and the principles of psychology to allow you enjoyable and effective lessons.
Together, we're going to learn how to learn.
When faced with learning something new, you may think to yourself; "I can't learn this", "My brain just doesn't work like that" or "I'm just not good at it". Of course you're not good at it, you've only just started. Do you think I was good the very first time I played the drums? Here's a brief about my first experience:
Year 7 Music class, we were all learning about one instrument a week, with drums on the roster this week. Being a class of 30 kids, but only one drum kit to share, we all got roughly 20 seconds behind the drums. After dropping the drumstick twice and playing only half of a drumbeat my teacher yelled "OK NEXT."
Not quite the magical moment you'd think.
But from there, I took lessons, practiced consistently and worked my butt off to get where I am today, tutoring people of all ages and working as a session musician.
Though the work I've put into being a great musician has been my own, it all starts with a teacher. I've had my share of great teachers, but I've had an even larger share of terrible teachers. People who don't understand how learning works. Just because they can do something easily, why can't everyone else? And that has really bothered me. Why be a teacher if you can't teach in the first place?
So, that's why I'm here. I don't teach because it's easy to do. I teach because learning is interesting, learning is different for everyone, but most of all; learning is hard. But it doesn't have to be.
So, the next time you think to yourself "I'm just not good at this": maybe you just haven't had a good teacher yet.
- WA Academy of Performing Arts (Bachelor or Music, Jazz Performance, 2015)
- Curtin University (Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), 2019)
Musicals (Drummer & Percussionist)
- Tony Galati! The Musical || 2020
- Matilda || 2019
- Legally Blonde || 2019
- The Little Mermaid || 2018
- Hairspray || 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013
- Oliver || 2017
- Mary Poppins || 2017
- The Wedding Singer || 2017
- Beauty & the Beast || 2017
- Jesus Christ Superstar || 2016
- Footloose || 2016
- Urinetown || 2015
- Bugsy Malone || 2014
- Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat || 2013
Albums, Eps and Singles
- Girls. Gurlz? G*rlz! || Hannah Mae & The Hoodwinks (2019)
- Off the Charts || Catherine Clarnette (2019)
- Daily Pages || Tim Newhouse (2019)
- Anthem of the Broken Mind || Ø Island (2018)
- This Love || Hannah Mae & The Hoodwinks (2017)
- Professional Dreamer || Hannah Mae & The Hoodwinks (2017)
- Something Like Lovers || Hannah Mae & The Hoodwinks (2017)
- Best of WAYJO || WAYJO (2017)
- Blue Skies || MattyTWall (2013)