Japanese RAMEN and GYOZA Cooking
What you'll learn
- Learn popular Japanese dishes, Ramen and Gyoza from a professional instructor!
- Make Handmade fresh noodles and Gyoza wrappers from scratch. Understand one of the most important ingredients for both the noodles and wrappers; flour.
- Master authentic Ramen soup from broth.
- Learn a wide variety of cooking techniques for Ramen toppings and how to use Japanese seasonings for Ramen soup.
- Learn how to make Gyoza fillings and the techniques of folding Gyoza.
- Master the beautiful way of dishing up.
- Having basic cooking techniques.
Welcome to this course! I‘m Fumiyo Okamoto, the owner and chief instructor of a Japanese cooking class for foreign visitors around Osaka, "Sakura Cook".
What you will learn in this course are several types of Japanese Ramen and Gyoza / dumplings. You will make all the dishes from scratch. The cooking techniques you will learn in this course are not easy, but after mastering them you will have a great sense of accomplishment.
Also, the recipes marked with an asterisk (*) in this course are vegan and vegetarian friendly.
What you learn about Ramen
3 types of noodles (basic Thin straight noodles*, Thin wavy egg noodles, Thick straight black sesame noodles*)
5 kinds of toppings (Char siu /Seasoned cooked pork, Ajitama /Seasoned boiled egg, spicy Ebi /shrimp, boiled Chingensai /Bok choy*, and steamed Yasai /Vegetables*)
3 kinds of broth and soup (soy sauce flavored soup with pork broth, salt flavored soup with shrimp broth, Miso flavored soup with Kombu /kelp broth*)
How to boil the noodles and dish up.
What you learn about Gyoza
Two types of wrappers* (round and rectangular)
Two types of filling (vegetables with pork, vegetables with mushrooms*)
Two ways of folding Gyoza and cooking method.
Tare /dipping sauce
In this course, each section is independent, so you can start learning from the recipe you want to make.
The lists of ingredients are available to download as PDF files. They will help you to cook again on your own after finishing this course.
Now, let’s start!
Who this course is for:
- All students who love Japanese RAMEN and GYOZA.
- Home chefs who want to learn real Japanese dishes from a professional Japanese instructor.
- This course is not for professional chefs.
In January 2017, I started a Japanese cooking class for foreign visitors to Japan, Sakura Cook studio in Osaka, where I have been working as the owner and chief instructor. At the same time, I ran a Japanese restaurant and worked as the owner-chef for about two years. In December 2018, I moved my studio to a new location and am currently focusing on cooking classes.
The feature of this cooking class is to introduce Japanese food, a UNESCO intangible cultural heritage, as a part of Japanese culture to foreigners. Lessons are held in English or Chinese, and provide a place to learn not only cooking techniques, but also knowledge of basis for Japanese foods such as DASHI (Japanese broth) and other ingredients that are difficult for foreigners to understand.
Every year the number of participants increases having many repeaters and chefs, the curriculum covers a wide range of students from beginners who want to enjoy it as a travel activity to professionals.
From 2020, the service has been expanded to online lessons and a recipe download site in addition to the studio lessons.