Japanese Popular Dishes Cooking Class
What you'll learn
- Learn real Japanese food from a professional instructor!
- Understand the most important element for Japanese food, DASHI and UMAMI flavor. Understanding the combination of DASHI is the first step to authentic Japanese food.
- Master five different types of popular Japanese dishes step-by-step with basic techniques. All totally different dishes with different skills gradually lead you to the next step.
- Learn the back ground and the characteristics of the foods and seasonings indigenous in Japan. By understanding the characteristics, you may apply the Japanese seasonings for your daily cooking.
- Get the tips to improve your cooking skills. The tips will help you when you are challenging for variation of the dishes.
- Understand Japanese food culture deeply. The knowledge makes your Japanese food more profound and enhance your world of cooking.
- No knowledge or experience is required to study this course.
Welcome to this course! I‘m Fumiyo Okamoto, the owner and chief instructor of a Japanese cooking class for foreign visitors in Osaka, "Sakura Cook".
What you will learn in this course is authentic Japanese dishes. These can be cooked with basic techniques and improve your knowledge and cooking skills of Japanese dishes step-by-step.
Understand real Japanese food
In 2013, Japanese cuisine was registered as an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO. Japanese food, which make the most of natural qualities of ingredients and is nutritiously balanced, has been inherited from generation to generation and is now loved in all over the world.
If you want to learn real Japanese food, this is your course. This course provides you more than just the techniques of cooking, but also deep knowledge about Japanese food and its background. It is not sufficient to understand real Japanese food without knowing about DASHI (Japanese broth) and UMAMI flavor. Or getting to know the world of fermented foods, MISO and soy sauce, will enhance your interest and help understanding in Japanese food.
Learn five popular dishes
After mastering the most important element, DASHI, you will learn five dishes, MISOSHIRU, DONBURI, OKONOMIYAKI, UDON and RAMEN. These are popular not only among Japanese but also foreign visitors in Japan and are the most appropriate dishes for you to start with. Don't worry, the cooking techniques are arranged for beginners.
While the cooking skills of this course may not seem enough for intermediate to advanced cooks, you will find this gives you deep knowledge of Japanese cuisine as a part of Japanese culture.
Discovery in variation of dishes
There are many variations of the foods actually eaten in Japan. In this course variations of dishes are shown with numerous photos. Maybe you'll feel like you are enjoying a foodie trip with your eyes. Knowing and understanding variation of dishes may allow you to find a new path arranging your original Japanese food.
Each section describes one dish. Consists of three lectures of "the back ground of the dish", "preparation" and "cooking and presentation". Please see the course outline for the detail. You can review the recipes repeatedly in PDF files as well.
Now, let's start a Japanese cooking journey, together!
Who this course is for:
- All students who love Japanese food.
- Home chefs who want to learn real Japanese cuisine from professional Japanese instructor.
- This course is not for professional chefs.
In January 2017, I started a Japanese cooking class for foreign visitors to Japan, Sakura Cook studio in Osaka, where I have been working as the owner and chief instructor. At the same time, I ran a Japanese restaurant and worked as the owner-chef for about two years. In December 2018, I moved my studio to a new location and am currently focusing on cooking classes.
The feature of this cooking class is to introduce Japanese food, a UNESCO intangible cultural heritage, as a part of Japanese culture to foreigners. Lessons are held in English or Chinese, and provide a place to learn not only cooking techniques, but also knowledge of basis for Japanese foods such as DASHI (Japanese broth) and other ingredients that are difficult for foreigners to understand.
Every year the number of participants increases having many repeaters and chefs, the curriculum covers a wide range of students from beginners who want to enjoy it as a travel activity to professionals.
From 2020, the service has been expanded to online lessons and a recipe download site in addition to the studio lessons.