Japan In-Depth Learning 2: Shinto and Buddhism
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You will learn the most indispensable philosophies to really understand Japanese people and culture -- Shinto, Buddhism as a whole, and specifically Zen Buddhism: to understand anyone, it is important to know what kind of philosophy the person grew up with!
- After this course, you will have much better understanding of the way Japanese people behave and think, and the way Japanese culture and arts are.
- You will find out how the philosophy of Zen -- to live in the moment -- deeply influences Japanese art, culture, and values.
- This course will deepen your experience during your Japan trip with information such as how to enjoy different types of Shinto shrines, how to appreciate different types of Buddhist statues, powerful and dynamic annual Shinto festivals, how to best appreciate Japanese traditional arts, etc.
- If you like/know Japanese "kawaii" (cute) culture, you will find out the background philosophy here as well.
- Explore the beautiful concept of "ego-less and mindful state of mind," which is very important to understand Japanese arts.
- Your curiosity about Japan!
Hi I'm Kana! I'm a national-licensed interpretive guide of Japan. I've been guiding over 10 years since 2009 all over Japan welcoming guests from around the world.
Since my school days, it has been always clear that in order to understand anyone, whether he/she is from the same country or not, it is very important to understand what kind of philosophy he/she grew up with. It's true even when we try to understand someone in our own country, and it's very true when we try to understand people from different countries with different religious background and resulting different values and customs.
Through my 10-year career as a guide, I've been always paying attention to what's common and what's different between my guests' culture and mine, and it has been always crucial to clearly explain the basic philosophy of Shinto and Buddhism for their deep appreciation of Japanese culture and arts.
In this course, I explain the important philosophy of Shinto, Japanese Buddhism as a whole, and specifically Zen Buddhism, as they are indispensable to really understand people and culture of Japan.
This course is recommended for those who are interested in Japan, those who are working for a Japanese corporation with Japanese boss/colleagues, those who are planning to visit Japan soon, and those who guide visitors to Japan.
- Anyone who is interested in Japan (simply curious/taking Japanese language course/working for a Japanese company, etc), wanting to take one step further to better understand the people and culture of the country by understanding the most indispensable philosophies running through this country.
- Anyone who works as a Japan travel guide.