Intro to Istio-Service Mesh for Cloud-Native Kubernetes Apps
What you'll learn
- Understand the basic architecture of Istio and Istio-Kubernetes interactions.
- Understand how Istio provides a full-feature service mesh to better run and monitor applications.
- Deploy Istio on Kubernetes
- Use Istio to manage a polyglot, microservices-based application.
- This course is written so that the content is accessible to users with no prior experience with Kubernetes or Istio.
- Access to a laptop/desktop computer with at least 8 GB RAM (Windows, OSX or Linux) and the ability to install software on that computer (Ability to install software on the computer (the free, open source Vagrant and VirtualBox).
- Alternatively: Alternatively access to a Google Cloud Platform account and permissions to use the Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) with at least least 4 standard GKE nodes.
Join Kumulus Technologies' CTO, Robert Starmer, as he helps you gain a functional understanding of how Istio provides a service mesh on Kubernetes to effectively and efficiently manage microservices-based, cloud-native applications. A series of concise lectures provide the necessary background on Kubernetes' and Istio's architectures and then explains how Istio's features help simplify microservices management complexity for both cloud operators and application developers. The course wraps up with Labs that provide instructions on how to deploy Istio on Kubernetes (with instructions to deploy locally on your laptop or leveraging Google Cloud Platform's GKE), then deploy istio on Kubernetes, and finally deploy and application and manage it's behavior with Istio. This course assumes no prior knowledge of Kubernetes or Istio and will leave you with the fundamental understanding and operational skills to repeatable deploy both k8s and Istio to continue your learning of Istio's functionality.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in understanding Istio and how a Service Mesh simplifies running a microservices-based, cloud-native application.
- Operators that provide support for microservices-based applications and wish to simplify their operational stack and gain improved insight into application stability.
- Application developers that want to understand how the service mesh model can simplify their application deployment and help understand inter-service interactions.
Kumulus Technologies is a San Francisco Bay area infrastructure-focused Dev/Ops and Cloud Systems consultancy that works to provide quality education on cloud, Dev/Ops and SRE topics. We provide a range of free educational opportunities, such as our Kumulus on Cloud You Tube series and lectures/training at meetups and conferences around the world.
We have long taught commercial-grade classes to businesses such as Fortune 500 companies and Silicon Valley startups. More information about these instructor-led and online courses is available on our company website. We are bringing this same standard of course development to Udemy at price point that will bring critical, cutting edge technologies to a larger audience that, we hope, will help to start shrinking the current Cloud technology skills gap.