Intro to Istio-Service Mesh for Cloud-Native Kubernetes Apps
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 9 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the basic architecture of Istio and Istio-Kubernetes interactions.
- Understand how Istio provides a full-feature service mesh to better run and monitor applications.
- Deploy Istio on Kubernetes
- Use Istio to manage a polyglot, microservices-based application.
- This course is written so that the content is accessible to users with no prior experience with Kubernetes or Istio.
- Access to a laptop/desktop computer with at least 8 GB RAM (Windows, OSX or Linux) and the ability to install software on that computer (Ability to install software on the computer (the free, open source Vagrant and VirtualBox).
- Alternatively: Alternatively access to a Google Cloud Platform account and permissions to use the Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) with at least least 4 standard GKE nodes.
Join Kumulus Technologies' CTO, Robert Starmer, as he helps you gain a functional understanding of how Istio provides a service mesh on Kubernetes to effectively and efficiently manage microservices-based, cloud-native applications. A series of concise lectures provide the necessary background on Kubernetes' and Istio's architectures and then explains how Istio's features help simplify microservices management complexity for both cloud operators and application developers. The course wraps up with Labs that provide instructions on how to deploy Istio on Kubernetes (with instructions to deploy locally on your laptop or leveraging Google Cloud Platform's GKE), then deploy istio on Kubernetes, and finally deploy and application and manage it's behavior with Istio. This course assumes no prior knowledge of Kubernetes or Istio and will leave you with the fundamental understanding and operational skills to repeatable deploy both k8s and Istio to continue your learning of Istio's functionality.
- Anyone interested in understanding Istio and how a Service Mesh simplifies running a microservices-based, cloud-native application.
- Operators that provide support for microservices-based applications and wish to simplify their operational stack and gain improved insight into application stability.
- Application developers that want to understand how the service mesh model can simplify their application deployment and help understand inter-service interactions.
Microservices have been a boon to developers in simplifying function and accelerating development speeds, but they have also brought new challenges to managing and observing the many and often ephemeral connections that these services generate and use. In this section we learn about some of the pros and cons, and how Istio helps with the challenges.