"isiXhosa for Beginners" South African Language
What you'll learn
- Have an introduction to the isiXhosa language
- Speak proficiently in basic conversation
- Be able to communicate with a Xhosa speaking person
- Learn the isiXhosa "clicking" sounds
- Learn general phrases about, time, place, family and life
- Learn language skills and how to ask questions
- Learn how to meet someone new
- Learn how to navigate and get around
- The course is the most effective if you are in a quite room where you are able to speak out loud
- No prerequisites, just a keenness to learn
This course is run over 4 weeks, but is self paced. We estimate it should take 8 hours and should you choose to do it in 1 day or the full 8 weeks it is completely up to you, you will have lifetime access to this course you may download the ebooks to take with you forever. The aim of this course is to introduce you to the Xhosa language and make you proficient in basic conversation.
The aim of this course is to not only give you an introduction to the language of isiXhosa, but to also be a strong foundation for anyone wanting to take the first step in their journey to mastering the language.
This course will focus on conversational isiXhosa, including mastering the poetic “clicking” sounds, learning general phrases and language skills. A large part of the course also focus on meeting someone new, getting around and asking the important question words we so often need.
The format of this course is primarily based on short videos followed by simple quizzes to re-enforce your knowledge. There are many interactive resources and "Real-life" communication is encouraged as much as possible.
There are a total of 4 units in this course. Should you have any general questions, do not hesitate to post them in the forums
Who this course is for:
- Anyone wanting to learn the language of isiXhosa
- Anyone visiting South Africa either short or long term
- Any South African wanting to improve his or her communication skills
- Anyone interested in learning more about a new culture
Born and bred on a farm in the Eastern Cape, I have enjoyed the lifelong privilege of being able to speak isiXhosa. I have a Masters degree in isiXhosa and professionally have been a teacher and lecturer for more than forty years. Developments in technology have enabled me to develop my passion for new modes of delivery and promote the learning of this beautiful language.
Supplementary online tuition using interactive platform now also available.