Water-Wise Irrigation Design - Step-by-Step
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 6 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Design your own irrigation system and get tips on successful installation
- Choose the best sprinklers for your situation
- know how to determine your soil texture for optimum irrigation efficiency
- Learn more about sprinkler design layout
- You should be familiar with some basic mathematics and algebra before you start this course. You should also be comfortable with reading charts and catalogs.
This course will show you how to design an irrigation system for yourself or for your client. Irrigation design is a critical part of any landscape and proper design will save you time, water and money.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- calculate flow rates, gallons per minute and available pressure using a simple flow gauge
- determine your soil texture so you don't over-water
- use a pressure loss chart to size pvc pipe
- lay out your sprinklers for optimum efficiency
- calculate your sprinklers precipitation rates so you know how fast water is being applied
- develop a simple watering schedule that best fits your soils and landscape
Seven sections with easy to follow video lessons explain and demonstrate what you'll need to know to design your own system from start to finish - including some helpful installation tips.
Water efficiency and conservation has become much more critical; this course will give you the knowledge you need to maintain a healthy, water-wise landscape.
- This course is for you if you would like to understand how to design and (maybe) install your own irrigation system. Even if you don't want to do the installation, you'll have a much better understanding of what it takes to design your system and be able to talk with a contractor or gardener about the installation. This course probably isn't for you if you're not interested in being "hands-on" with sprinklers, controllers or any other aspect of irrigation.
This Course is divided into 7 Sections. Each section is broken down into easily understood Lectures using videos, PowerPoint slides and graphics so you'll be able to see the process for designing your irrigation in logical progression.
We'll start by showing you how to determine your flow rates and operating pressure, how to figure out what your soil texture is and why it's important and we'll finish in Lecture 7 with some helpful tips and tricks to installing your system.
Knowing what your operating pressure is and how many gallons per minute you have avaliable is critical to success! This lesson shows you how to figure all this out.
Once you've collected your soil sample the next step is to know the percentages of sand, silt and clay. This video shows you how to determine these values.
Sand, silt and clay occur in different proportions in our soils. The amount of each will be a factor in how quickly water will percolate in and how much water can be stored by the soil. Once you learn how to use the soil triangle then infiltration rates and available water can be determined.