Irish Dance for Beginners: An Introduction
What you'll learn
- Dance a full set of Irish Dance steps to music
- Have confidence in their ability to learn Irish dance steps
- Gain coordination, balance and control
- Engage the mind in mastering and remembering a set of steps
- Can start in tennis shoes, socks, bare feet or any type of soft dance shoe
- Comfortable clothing in which you can lift your legs
- No experience necessary - incrementally broken down, bite-sized chunks of learning which can be repeated as necessary
If you have ever thought about learning to Irish dance, or 'Riverdance' as some people say, look no further. This course is designed for beginners and will take you from no knowledge to dancing to Irish music in no time at all! You will be able to show off your skills next St. Patrick's Day.
The course aims to teach basic sets of movements in easy, attainable increments. Each part of the step is broken down, filmed in close up, then demonstrated without music, to slow music, medium tempo and regular fast music. The steps are repeated a few times on each lecture. Progress at your own pace.
This introduction course covers some very basic steps, then beginner level 1 steps and then beginner level 2 steps. Hopefully even if you are a professional dancer you can still learn something from this course. When appropriate, notes on technique are given but it is understood that is aspirational and not a requirement!
Learning Irish dance can help with balance, strength, and agility. No special requirements only wear something comfortable that you are able to move your legs in. As for shoes, socks, tennis shoes or bare feet are acceptable as well as any type of soft dance shoe.
Take a deep breath and give this a shot! Hopefully you will find the repetition instructive and be dancing along with the music in no time at all!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who has an interest in Irish Dance and can walk!
- Anyone with any interest in the art of Irish Dance
Former member of Riverdance and a principal dancer with Lord of the Dance, I had a very successful Irish dance school in Denver, Colorado for over 10 years. I have taught hundreds of people to Irish dance! I have been a world-championship level judge and grade examiner within the Irish Dance community and still perform and teach regularly.
My mission is that I want to introduce as many people as possible to the wonderful art form that is Irish Dance.