Ireland's Fairies and Vampires
What you'll learn
- Connection between Irish Fairies and Ireland's vampire Count Dracula.
- Students will learn about Ireland and Irish Culture.
- Irish mythology and legend
- Irish Literature and writers
- No prerequisites and all are welcome.
This course traces connection between Ireland's fairies and vampires in Western culture. We will see how Count Dracula, the creation of Irish writer Bram Stoker, coincides with ideas of the land of Ireland as an entity with an appetite for blood sacrifice. Dracula is one of a number of vampire figures created by Irish writers and we will see how Irish horror writing is produced against a cultural folklore replete in blood thirsty creatures. This will bring us into the realm of Irish fairy and through exploration of the origin of Irish fairy, in ancient Irish myth and legend, we will discover the supernatural creatures hovering behind Ireland's celebrated generation of the vampire.
Who this course is for:
- Fairy fans and vamire enthusiasts.
- Anyone interested in Ireland, its land and culture.
- Students of Irish writers and literature
Bernie McCarthy holds a PhD in Irish literature and has taught at University College Cork, University of Limerick and West Cork College. She is a specialist in Irish Myth and Legend, writes historical fiction and lives near Baltimore in the southwest of Ireland. Her publications include works in From the Well, the Wildean, Notes & Queries, Irish University Review and Cahiers victoriens et édouardiens.