Introduction To Story Boarding
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course you will be able to do story boards for Short animations , Short live action films ,Game cinematics , Photo Narratives and Story Pitching for designers trying to sell new ideas.
- In this course you will learn to :
- Draw people with a quick short hand techniques used by professionals
- Use Visual symbolism for maximum impact
- Set up Camera's
- Story structure with images
- Edit your content to help strengthen your presentations
- Adobe Photoshop CS 3,4,5 or 6.
- Paper and pens
- Basic drawing skills helps but is not required
This course is about learning the craft of storyboarding for animation artists, filmmakers, game design artists, graphic designers and people interested in learning how the storyboarding process affects the film, game and design work you may be doing.
In this course you can find lectures, video demonstrations and PDFs that will help further the information provided in each session.
You may be able to complete the lectures in a 1 week time period but I would encourage going back over the material as many times as you like until you have mastered the information provided. Plus, there will be ongoing discussions between students and myself to help build the independent animation, game and film communities.
This course is structured in sessions that consist of lectures. The students will need to watch or listen to the lectures provided and work alongside the demonstrations to help them follow the information provided. You will in some sessions be asked to read PDF materials provided in the sessions. Considering the possibility of a high volume of students, I will try my best to answer most of the questions and give feedback when I host live sessions. I also plan on scheduling live sessions with industry professionals so that you get a clearer understanding of the techniques used here.
By taking this course in Intro to Storyboarding, you will gain the foundations of a visual storyteller. The goal here is to insure that the people who sign up will learn to use industry methods to further enhance the stories they would like to tell. I would like to help create new storyboard artists for filmmaking, game design, photography for narratives, and graphic design by adding some proven creative storytelling skills to their visual work.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for anyone who feels they have a story they feel needs to be seen not heard. The students here need no formal training in drawing or painting but if you already have these tools coming in you will learn to push what you already use.
- This course is also going to help introduce the world of film making and visual narratives to those who simply like Games, Movies , Narrative Photography and Animation. Anyone can learn to use these simple skills to broaden their ability's and launch them in a new possible career they other wise thought was not possible.
I have been a storyboard artist in the SF bay area for the last 12 years working on projects such as Pixar's Cars, Dreamworks Shrek 2 and Wild Brain's Higgley Town Hero's to name a few. I have also worked as an instructor at the Academy of Art University and San Francisco State University before founding Red Giant Studios in 2008 where he now serves as Director and Chief Innovation Officer. I have traveled to China as a guest judge in the Xiamen animation film festival in 2011 and have toured the mainland giving lectures as well as animation consulting. I have also worked in the game industry as concept artist and storyboard artist for commercials and advertisments.