Introduction to Public Health
What you'll learn
- Define public health
- Describe at least three contributions made during the ancient and middle age eras of public health
- Identify the great achievements of public health
- Identify the core functions and essential public health services
- This course has no specific prerequisites
This super short course is designed to be a quick introduction for beginning students to the history of public health. The course is divided into eight topics. Specific areas that will be further explored in the course include: the definition and history of public health, understanding the determinants of health, and how disease prevention and health promotion relate to public health.
Who this course is for:
- The target student for this course is anyone interested in learning the basic principles of public health
Dee Brown has a Masters of Public Health degree with a concentration in Community Health Education. She is currently an Outreach Coordinator and works on health education and outreach projects for various cancer research foundations. She has been involved with outreach projects for years, predominately where it involves HIV/AIDS education and cancer prevention. She is also an active member of the American Public Health Association (APHA).