Introduction to Programming
What you'll learn
- What is HTML5?
- How to Display HTML5 Code in a Browser
- The Tool to Use for Coding
- How HTML5 Documents are Structured
- Displaying Paragraph Text with HTMl5
- Displaying Heading Text with HTML5
- Displaying Lists
- What is CSS and How is it used?
- How to Apply CSS Styles
- Adjusting Font and Font Size
- How to Style Lists with CSS
- How to Use Classes and ID's
- Creating Internal and External Hyperlinks
- Displaying Images on a Page
- Playing Audio on a Page
- Playing Video on a Page
- How to Assemble and Code an MP3 Player
- Understand Basic Table Structure
- Understand Complex Table Structures
- Design a Table with CSs
- Obtain User Input
- Create Online Forms
- Accept Information in the Form of Numbers, Dates and Colors
- Create Form Dropdowns
- Create Submit and Reset Buttons for a Form
- Create Generic Buttons
- Create Radio Buttons and Check Boxes
- Style Forms with CSS
- Use the CSS Box Model
- Understand How to Create Borders, Background and Margins
- Understand Static, Fixed, Relative and Absolute Positioning Models
- Create Floating Elements
- Understand Responsive Design
- Apply Responsive Design for Mobile
- Use a Responsive Design Framework
- Write a Procedural Program in Python
- Run Python Command LIne Code
- Obtain Command Line Input in Python
- Output Strings with Print
- Output Expressions with Print
- Create Variables
- Use Input Statements
- Understand Programmatic Decision Making
- Use Simple and Complex If Statements
- Create While Loops
- Create For Loops
- Create Break and Continue Statements
- Understand the Role of Functions in Coding
- Create Parameterized Functions
- Create Functions that Return Values
- Create List Structures
- Create a Dictionary Data Structure
- Understand File Input/Output
- Write to a File
- Read in From a File
- Work with CSV (Comma Separated Value) Data
- Work with Dates in Python
- Work with Regular Expressions in Python
- Complete Basic Networking in Python
- Download and Parse XML
- Windows or Mac
- Web Browser (Free)
- Python Software (Free)
- Text Editor (Free)
Have you ever said to yourself: "I'd like to learn programming, but where should I start?”
There is an overwhelming number of options that are available to those who want to learn. Introduction to Programming is designed to give you the foundational skills that will prove important for any type of programming you want to do. You’ll learn to code web pages, create a mobile application and use external data sources. (Mobile covered in Level II of the course)
This course, which includes video lectures, lab exercises, and full program code will prepare you for entry-level jobs in development— or simply make you comfortable with code and confident in more advanced study.
As you build a portfolio of skills, you’ll also build a portfolio of completed projects that can be used to demonstrate your new skill sets.
In Level I of the course we focus on foundations-- The things that all developers need to know to be successful. With each passing chapter of the course you'll learn new skills and demonstrate them in a lab exercise.
This program will introduce participants to all of the following technologies:
HTML5 and CSS: Construct the visual aspects of web sites and mobile applications with this language pair
Python: You’ll learn the basics of coding and programming logic using the Python programming language
We Created Introduction to Programming For You
If you've been considering learning to code-- or have tried before and it didn't quite take-- then this course is for you. We're not teaching a random programming language, but, instead, laying a professional foundation with the skills today's programmers need to know.
A mix of lecture and activity, this course is designed not just to expose you to important topics for new coders, but to help you retain the information and immediately put it to use.
Comprehensive and Efficient
Introduction to Programming is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to the programming field. However, we know you're busy and don't spend time on unnecessary theory and background. You'll complete the course in just a few weeks worth of evenings-- however the lessons will stay with you throughout your programming career.
You'll learn by doing in the Introduction to Programming program. This course includes multiple projects to help you understand and remember what you're learning. Here are just a few of the projects you'll complete:
Restaurant Review Web Site: Post your favorite restaurant reviews on your own site
MP3 Player: Play your favorite music
Responsive Design Web Site: Make a web site work across multiple sized screens
Interest Calcuator: Figure out how long it will take you to get rich
Magic 8 Ball: Make those truly important decisions
Web Services Project: Get data from an external source-- They key to many apps
Over 500,000 Students LearnToProgram
You'll be among our community of over 500,000 students who've learned programming from one of our LearnToProgram courses. With over 250,000 students on Udemy alone, we've learned a few things about teaching people-- And those lessons are injected in to Introduction to Programming.
We're looking forward to seeing you in class!
Who this course is for:
- Beginners who want to learn to code
- Teachers and Students
- People at the Beginning of Their Coding Career
Tech Learning Network is a streaming video network that teaches digital skills such as web development, graphic design, and digital productivity. We believe that education should be accessible to all. You can find Tech Learning Network content on Udemy, our website and throughout online video world.
The Tech Learning Network specializes in teaching accessible technical skills to people just getting started in technical careers including web development, digital design, and other career paths enabled by technology.
Mark Lassoff 's parents frequently claim that Mark was born to be a programmer. Starting, in the mid-eighties at age 11, Mark was hard at work on his Commodore 64 writing games in the BASIC language. After completing a computer science degree, Mark developed software for several well-known internet startups during the initial internet boom of the mid 1990’s. Five years ago Mark parlayed a two decades of software development experience into his latest entrepreneurial venture, LearnToProgram Media.
LearnToProgram Media publishes online courses that teach mobile, web, and game development. Over 500,000 people have learned programming from Mark through online classes he has either authored or published. In addition to publishing popular courses and books LearnToProgram Media operates an internet video network which produces several programs on software development.
Previously Mark founded PowerPlant Marketing, which created marketing automation software for REALTORS™. After the sale of PowerPlant, Mark went on to found Internet Broadcasting Group which counted among it’s launch clients Nike, Blue Moon Brewing Company and Opubco.
Mark lives in Connecticut and speaks worldwide on software development, entrepreneurship and online learning. He has spoken at TechWeek NY, TechWeek LA, and SXSW, among other large conferences. In his spare time he he enjoys aviation, mentoring new business owners and spending time with life-long friends and family.