Parenting Skills: Tips For Parenting Children and Teens
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 8 mins on-demand audio
- 1 article
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand which parenting style is best to use as a parent
- Know what skills and traits make up an authoritative parent
- Communicate more effectively as a parent
- Know how to best handle conflict and challenging behaviour as a parent
- Effectively set boundaries and consequences
- How to use star/reward charts effectively
- Know what parenting ideas and advice to give to others
- This course covers the basics of parenting, so no prior knowledge about parenting styles or techniques is required
Do you want to know how to get the best out of your children/teens? How to get them to behave and do as they are told?
Or do you work with parents or families and want to know what the best advice is to give to the parents to help them parent more effectively?
This course is an introduction to parenting styles and techniques for both parents who want to parent as effectively as possible, and professionals who work with parents and families who want to know what the best advice and support is to give to parents. On this course you will learn about the four parenting styles: authoritarian, authoritative, permissive, and uninvolved. This course then delves deeper into the authoritative parenting style, which is the optimal parenting style, explaining about the parenting behaviours that make up that style. This parenting courses also covers how to manage challenging behaviour, how to set boundaries and consequences, and parenting communication skills, as well as how to effectively use star/rewards charts, and how to relax, as remaining calm is one of the most important skills a parent can learn.
The course consists of video lectures and has a PDF of the notes at the end. This parenting course should take about three hours to complete.
This course is for parents that would like to learn more about being an effective parent, or would like to know what the best way to parent is. It is for parents that have children or teens exhibiting challenging behaviour who would like to know what they can do to manage that behaviour, and perhaps check to see if they are doing all they can already.
Some people may take the course just looking for reassurance that they are already doing everything right. Some parents can be doing everything right but not yet getting the results they are after which can be challenging or disheartening and can lead to doubt. Taking this course and seeing you are doing everything correctly can help to give extra motivation to stick with what you are doing.
This course is also suitable for professionals working with parents or families that are either new to the role or haven't had training on parenting styles and techniques. Or those who would like to learn more around effective positive parenting practices to be able to offer knowledge, advice and guidance to parents they work with.
This course is based on the instructors 15+ years experience working with families in their own homes and working with teens and children with emotional and behavioural difficulties within residential children's homes. The instructor also helped to set up a therapeutic children's home and has trained local authority family support staff and social workers in parenting, as well as holding parenting and family courses on topics from parenting skills to child/teen to parent violence/abuse.
- This course is for parents of children and teenagers, mainly focusing on strategies and ideas that would apply to children from about 4 years old upwards (the parenting styles information applies to parenting children of any age)
- This course is for professionals that work with parents or families that have limited or no training about parenting styles and techniques
- This course isn't for experienced parenting or family support practitioners
- This course is for parents that want to improve their parenting skills
- This course is for parents that have children with challenging behaviour
- This course is for parents that want to look at and improve how they parent
At the end of this lecture you will understand the parenting matrix that the four parenting styles are mapped on to
At the end of this lecture you will understand the behaviours and traits of an authoritarian parent
At the end of this lecture you will understand the behaviours and traits of an uninvolved parent
At the end of this lecture you will understand the behaviours and traits of a permissive parent