Introduction to Oil and Gas Drilling
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Develop familiarity with common "oil field" terms and phrases.
- Discuss the drilling process with potential employers and co-workers with confidence.
- Gain understanding of drill string components and the proper applications of each component.
- Gain familiarity with components of a drilling rig including hoisting, rotating and circulating systems.
- Identify characteristics of a petroleum reservoir.
- Walk into a job interview with confidence!
- There are no pre-requisites for this course. We will walk through the entire drilling process from beginning to end.
Drilling for oil and gas is one of the most dynamic and exciting professions in the world. A career in the drilling industry allows world wide travel and can be rewarding professionally, personally and financially! There are tremendous opportunities for individuals that are able to develop an expertise and gain experience in the field. The challenge can be finding and taking advantage of those opportunities!
This course will provide students with the knowledge they need to become more competitive while seeking employment or starting their career.
In this course we will review the entire process of drilling oil and gas wells. The course was designed to progressively build and develop the students’ knowledge. We start off by focusing on the different types of drilling rigs and which applications they are most suited for. Once a general knowledge of the rigs is acquired we will focus on the rig systems that allow wells to be drilled.
Following the rig systems we begin to focus on petroleum geology. We review the characteristics of petroleum reservoirs and how they are formed. We then review the pressures encountered while drilling and how this affects the drilling operations.
The components of the drill string including bottom hole assembly will be discussed in detail. We will focus on common components of the drill string in strait and direction wells. Bit selection will also be an important topic covered.
At the end of this course you will be able to talk confidently about the drilling process in an interview, with co-workers or in general conversation with friends.
- Candidates interested in pursuing a career in the drilling industry.
- Candidates who are starting their career in the drilling industry and would like a competitive advantage in their development.
- Candidates that are interested in discovering a highly dynamic and exciting industry.
This lecture will provide students with an overview of a rig's hoisting system. Students will learn what the purpose of a hoisting system is and the different components of the hoisting system.
This lecture will review the conditions in which oil and gas is formed. Students will learn the two conditions of production, permeability and porosity. Finally we will discuss the characteristics of a petroleum reservoir.
This lecture will review the major components of a drill string. We will review drill pipe, drill collars, heavy-weight drill pipe and drill bits.
This lecture will review the common casing strings in an oil and gas well. We will review the purpose of each casing string and explain why it is typically run. We will also expand on the drilling window idea which will help students understand a fundamental concept of casing design.