Introduction to Nuke VFX Compositing: The Essentials - NK101
What you'll learn
- Nuke's User Interface
- Concepts and techniques for digital compositing
- Additive color theory
- Image formats / resolutions / colors
- 2d Tracking
- Rotopaint and Rotoscoping
- Keyframe animation
- Color correction / color grading techniques
- Introduction to Chroma Keying / Greenscreen removal
- Camera traits (Lens distortion, grain, sensor noise)
- Cleanplating and removing objects from a scene
- Good compositing habits, compositing workflow and hierarchy, script organization
- Must have a PC or Mac
- Eagerness to learn and perseverance!
This Nuke visual effects training course will take you through the fundamental concepts of VFX Compositing in Nuke, and how to learn the user interface. By the end of the course, you will successfully be able to composite what would be considered a "Junior Digital Compositing" shot.
The final project includes all of the techniques you learn along the way. The class is focused primarily on the 2D aspects of compositing to get you started. It involves replacing a background, color correcting and blending the foreground and background, motion tracking the background to the foreground, and seamlessly bringing it all together. As a bonus, you learn how to create an animated hologram effect from scratch appearing in front of the character!
There will be a lot of theory you need to learn first before you can successfully composite a shot, and with anything worth learning there is a learning curve. But if you persist through you will have a great payoff and skillset at the end, and a great shot to show off that you created!
A thank you to the BLENDER FOUNDATION and Xiph for providing the free footage of the green screen!
Note: You will be required to sign up and download the project files if you want to follow along with this class
Who this course is for:
- People who have no experience with digital compositing and are curious to learn
- Beginners with experience in another image software (I.E Photoshop or After Effects) and want to transition into Nuke
My VFX studio experience includes: Sony Pictures, Weta Digital, Industrial Light and Magic, MPC, Framestore
I have a background and Bachelor's Degree of Science in Computer Animation, with a specialty in Digital Compositing.
My experience includes many feature films, which can be found on my IMDB page if searched for.("Alex Hanneman")
A few of these films include:
Avengers: End Game
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
I have worked internationally at many feature film visual effects studios, moving around the globe to do digital compositing and being paid to do so.
During this time, I have worked on numerous hero shots on feature films, and have been involved in look development and creating compositing tools for various projects. I have experience in all areas of compositing through my years of work.
Given my deep experience in the industry, I believe if you take my courses you will have something worthwhile to gain out of it. Thank you.