Introduction to Motivational Interviewing - Certificate
What you'll learn
- What is Motivational Interviewing?
- What is behaviour change and how does it happen?
- How can we help people overcome barriers to change?
- What Motivational Interviewing strategies are and how can we use them?
- How do we help people maintain constructive behaviour change?
- How can we help people to deal with relapse?
- What is relapse and why does it happen?
- Good basic knowledge of English language
- Interest in Motivation and related strategies for change
This course gives a comprehensive interview to Motivational Interviewing, a set of tools and techniques to help people overcome barriers, make changes and achieve their goals. The course comprises of a range of lecture videos, handouts and lots of resources to help the individual solidify their learning. This is a very hands on, enjoyable and 'motivating' course that is suitable for anyone who wants to use Motivational Interviewing for the clients they work with, or perhaps they themselves want to acquire skills to overcome their own barriers to change and achievement.
One of the very valuable aspects of the course is where we look at some of the unhelpful assumptions that serve to prevent change, development and the achievement of goals, such as:
1. The person ought to change behaviour
2. The person wants to change behaviour
3. Health is the person’s primary motivator
4. The intervention has failed if the person doesn’t
choose to change
5. Persons are either motivated to change or not
6. Now is the right time to choose to change
7. A tough approach is the best approach
Motivational Interviewing is also used frequently during staff development meetings to help the individual achieve their very best and in turn, help make the company to become more successful.
The course is designed and delivered by Kevin O'Doherty an expert witness, Forensic Mental Health Specialist, CBT Therapist and Author of several self help books. Kevin has a wide range of other courses available online via Udemy, why not take a look at them also!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner and intermediate
- People providing professional support to others
- Managers with supervisory responsibility
- Therapist's who want an understanding of this interesting area
I am a Psychologist, Forensic Mental Health Expert, CBT Therapist and Author of several self help books. I also carry out Medico Legal Psychological Assessments for Law firms. I provide Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for clients based all over the world with the aid of Virtual Programme Software such as Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp and Doxy. I consult, advise and deliver training on all aspects of forensic mental health in the UK, Europe and USA on request.
I find my work as a Forensic Mental Health Expert Witness fascinating and I do hope that I present some of that fascination to the student during the course.
In addition to our cgforensicmentalhealth website, we also have Calibre Gold ltd website.
I provide live streaming/teaching of courses and workshops for groups via Zoom on request.