Introduction to mindfulness meditation
What you'll learn
- Understand what mindfulness is, its history and background, and its function, purpose and benefits
- Begin your own mindfulness practice, from the ground up and with thorough guidance and tips
- Recieve guidance and helpful tips in establishing a consistent practice and overcoming obstacles to it
- Bring mindfulness into your day-to-day, moment-to-moment
- Learn and develop the quality of mindful relaxation and gentleness (non-resistance, non-judging, non-reactivity)
- Feel the profound benefits of mindful relaxation in your life, such as stress and anxiety management, suffering reduction, emotional well-being, and self-transformation
- Begin learning and developing the quality of mindful focus and stability
- Practice: mindfulness of the present
- Practice: mindfulness of the whole body
- Practice: body scan
- Practice: mindfulness of breathing
- Practice: relating to difficulty with a soothing presence
- The RAIN practice
- No requirements or prerequisites - this course is open and suitable for anyone, any age, any background, culture and motivations
- You don't need any previous knowledge or experience to enjoy and benefit from this course
- If you wish to actually develop mindfulness and experience its benefits, all you need is some degree of commitment to engage in the course and in your practice (I'll help you with that)
- And also be able and willing to devote some time to it: around 0.5-1 hour per week for the lessons and as much as you can and desire for your daily practice (I recommend 25 minutes, but it can be from 5 minutes to 2 hours, it's up to you)
A very practical, friendly and, at the same time, informative and comprehensive course that will teach you the basics and guide you through the first steps of learning mindfulness.
You will learn about mindfulness, what it really is and what it is about, its history and origin, as well as its benefits and purpose.
You will be guided through the first steps of practicing mindfulness, and you will also recieve some useful advice on how to better bring mindfulness into your daily life, such as finding time and motivation.
Finally, you will experience how mindfulness can have a positive impact on your life even at the very start, such as reducing stress and suffering, dealing better with difficulty, having a calmer mind, improving emotions and opening ourselves to life.
We will also take a look at the following steps along the path if you wish to proceed your practice.
This is a 4-week course, designed to better help you slide into and get a good grasp of the material, as well as actually implement it into your life, putting it into practice and learning experientially. Besides the lessons, the course includes guided meditations and practices, offering downloadable recordings, as well as weekly assignments to support your daily practice and help bring mindfulness and its outcomes into effect in your life. You will also be able to directly ask questions and recieve personalized help and advice from the teacher.
This course is based on several years of study and practice of mindfulness and meditation, drawing from varied and some of the best sources and renowned teachers, from current science with neuroscience and psycology to ancient contemplative tranditions such as Buddhism. It was designed with you in mind, with the purpose to best help you learn, put into practice and experience the benefits of mindfulness and meditation.
Whether you are someone who just wants to have an idea of what mindfulness is and maybe give it a try, or someone already committed to your practice who wants to better understand and improve it, I am more than happy to welcome you into this course and truly hope it will bring you some benefit.
Enroll now and begin learning, developing and benefiting from mindfulness!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who just wants to learn about minfulness and maybe give it a try
- People who are committed to start practicing and would like some help and guidance to begin
- People already practing who wish to improve or better understand / review the basics
- Anyone who wishes to improve themselves and how they live life in its various aspects
- Anyone who wishes to reduce stress and suffering
Filipe is the founder and main teacher and author of the Center for Human Flourishing. He is a teacher, trainer, and author in the fields of mental and emotional balance, emotional intelligence, awareness, and regulation, meditation and contemplative practices, mental health, happiness and well-being, and personal growth and transformation. He is currently a 6th and final year medical student at the Abel Salazar Institute for Biomedical Sciences – University of Porto (ICBAS-UP), having begun his course in 2015, and he is also a voluntary paramedic at the Portuguese Red Cross.
The Center for Human Flourishing is an organization founded and run by Filipe Gonçalves Rocha for the promotion of human well-being and genuine happiness, from the individual level to human societies at larger and even global scales, including their relationship with the planet and other living beings.
This project was born form a deeply thought and long matured desire to help bring about a positive transformation to individual persons, small communites, societies, and ultimately the planet. In a world filled with so much unnecessary wrong and suffering, and with such a great potential for good, beauty, and flourishing, we intend to be a strong one among the many forces that are making a positive change in people’s lives and in the world.
Every day we see friends, family, colleagues, and strangers (and ourselves) suffering or being chained by our own and others’ afflicitons, unbalances, and disruptive emotions, not to speak of whole communities and even humanity as a whole living under limitations or oppressions originated by unbalanced minds and their destructive tendencies. We see that the root of all these problems, small to large, trivial to unprecedented, lies in the human mind and in its state of balance. And we understand that their solutions and the path to a better and happier life and world are in the study, understanding, transformation and improvement of our minds and ourselves. So, we made it our mission to help make this possible and real to any and all those that we can reach, to bring you training, education, guidance and resources that will inspire you and support you on your path of growth, flourishing and genuine happiness.
Wise and happy people will make a wiser and happier world.
And to us, every single life we help turn better is a true joy and a realization of our purpose.
At its core, the mission of the Center for Human Flourishing is to help everyone at our reach grow, develop, and transform into the best version of themselves, to overcome and leave behind the fetters and imbalances that hold us back and to achieve and realize our unique potential as human beings, in this way greatly reducing human suffering and actualizing genuine happiness. This is what Human Flourishing is about.
We believe that every person cares to be happy and free from suffering.
Our mission is to be a force and a helping hand in that direction.
Happiness and Mental Balance
If we want to be able to promote well-being and human flourishing, we need to understand what are its true causes. Although external and material conditions certainly play a vital role, we believe that the root of genuine happiness (and suffering) is in the mind. A more balanced mind – a mind with good values, wisdom, and a refined awareness – is more prone to constructive emotions and a spring of genuine happiness and well-being; while a more unbalanced mind – one with misleading values, delusion, and a scattered awareness – is more prone to destructive emotions and a source of turmoil and suffering. Therefore, we can identify mental balance as the root of either happiness or suffering, and this makes it our mission to promote and help cultivate mental balance to its best.
A force for good
We can understand mental balance as a spectrum, ranging from the extreme of the heavily unbalanced state of mental disorders, to exceptional mental balance and prime human flourishing, what Aristotle called Eudaimonia – the happiness of a good spirit.
Most of us find ourselves in the middle of the spectrum, between the two extremes: with a balanced enough mind to function properly, live and survive, but still very prone to destructive emotions, delusion, and unnecessary suffering.
Wherever each person finds him or herself along this spectrum, our aspiration is to be a force and a helping hand in the direction of balance, happiness and flourishing.