Introduction to Buy-Now-Pay-Later (BNPL)
What you'll learn
- Understand the basics of buy-now-pay-later (BNPL)
- Understand the various business models and distribution channels that exist for BNPL
- Understand the various product configurations that exist for BNPL
- Understand the value proposition offered to consumers and merchants for BNPL
- Understand the key drivers and unit economics for a BNPL business
- Understand the differentiators and risks of a BNPL business
- Identify the winners in the BNPL space
- No requirements or prerequisites for this course besides a very basic understanding of financial services.
I’m Professor Fintech and I’ve been involved in the global FinTech space for close to 5 years now in the capacity of an investor. Through my role, I’ve had the opportunity to dig deep into a plethora of companies that straddle the financial services ecosystem, from payments, to lending, to insurance, to banking. You name it, I’ve looked at it from the lens of an investor. Now I want to share what I’ve learnt about buy-now-pay-later with you!
Through this course, you’ll gain a solid foundation of how buy-now-pay-later works, starting with the basics and building up from there. We’ll cover the latest trends, key business models, distribution channels and product offering to see what all the fuss is about from the point of view of both the consumer and the merchant. Once we have these building blocks in place, we’ll move on to the key drivers of this model and what that means in terms of unit economics and funding sources. This will arm us with the tools required to assess the differentiators and risks inherent to buy-now-pay-later providers, and will ultimately allow us identify the winners in the space. All through the lens of an investor.
At the end of the course, I'll also provide some resources and further reading to compliment the topics covered and help take you to the next level!
Who this course is for:
- Potential investors in the BNPL space
- FinTech enthusiasts
- Students looking to enter the FinTech or investing space
- BNPL enthusiasts
I have spent the last 10 years covering and investing in the global financial services space, with a particular focus on emerging market FinTech. In my role as an investor, I have had the opportunity to review hundreds of different businesses operating in the space first-hand, ranging across the financial services spectrum (i.e. payments, lending, insurance, etc). Given the recent explosion of interest in the sector, I figured now was the right time to pass on some of the knowledge that I wished would have been available to me at the beginning of my career.