Introduction to Application Security (AppSec)
- General programming experience
- A desire to learn!
About the course:
Welcome to this Introduction to Application Security! Whether you are looking to lay down a solid foundation for a successful career in AppSec, or whether you're simply wanting to learn how to apply security best practices to your applications, this course is for you.
By learning how to navigate practical resources and frameworks, and by learning how to apply them to real-world applications, you will be well on your way to building more secure software. This course introduces concepts for web, mobile, and cloud apps so that you can gain exposure to all three and identify the specialty that you are most interested in.
In addition, we discuss top risks to defend against, including hands-on demonstrations of how attacks could be carried out against vulnerable applications.
While some basic programming experience is required to follow along, you definitely do not need to be a programming expert. All you really need is a strong desire to learn!
Topics we will cover together:
What AppSec is, including skill requirements for current job opportunities
OWASP resources and the NICE Framework
Critical concepts of AppSec
Threat Modeling concepts and approaches
The current state of web application security based on research and data
OWAS Top 10 Web App Risks
The current state of mobile application security based on research and data
OWASP Top 10 Mobile App Risks
The current state of cloud application security based on research and data
Cloud access control and permissions
Building secure APIs in the cloud
AppSec testing methods and concepts
Pentesting in a safe and legal environment, including example brute force, SQL injection, and XSS attacks
How to handle open-source software with known vulnerabilities
My name is Christophe Limpalair, and I have helped thousands of individuals pass IT certifications and learn how to use the cloud for their applications. I got started in IT at the age of 11 and unintentionally fell into the world of cybersecurity.
As I developed a strong interest in programming and cloud computing, my focus for the past few years has been training thousands of individuals in small, medium, and large businesses (including Fortune 500) on how to use cloud providers (such as Amazon Web Services) efficiently.
I've taught certification courses such as the AWS Certified Developer, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator, and AWS Certified DevOps Professional, as well as non-certification courses such as Lambda Deep Dive, Backup Strategies, and others.
Working with individual contributors as well as managers, I realized that most were also facing serious challenges when it came to cybersecurity.
Digging deeper, it became clear that there was a lack of training for Application Security specifically. As we explore in the course with actual research and data, most production applications in the world today contain security flaws that are identified as being in the top 10 risks by OWASP. Those security flaws can potentially be used to exploit organizations as we see in the news on a far too frequent basis.
It's time to take security into our own hands and to learn how to build more secure software in order to help make the world a safer place! Join me in the course, and we'll do just that!
I welcome you on your journey to learning more about Application Security, and I look forward to being your instructor!
- Beginner or experienced developers interested in building more secure software
- Existing Application Security Engineers looking to formalize their training
- IT managers interested in staying up-to-date with current web, mobile, and cloud security risks
- About the course and author03:28
- About AppSec as a job05:17
- Exploring the NICE Framework and OWASP04:58
- Establishing a baseline with the ASVS06:52
- Reviewing the ASVS2 questions
- Establishing a baseline with SAMM06:40
- A practical approach to application security08:18
- Application security risks and threat modeling06:56
- The state of web application security07:39
- The state of web application security4 questions
- Common vulnerabilities and attacks08:39
- The state of mobile application security03:40
- Establishing a baseline with the MASVS04:01
- Common vulnerabilities and attacks08:30
- The state of cloud security07:45
- IAM: access control and permissions04:00
- IAM access control and permissions1 question
- Building secure APIs12:10
- Building secure APIs3 questions
- Important concepts of application security testing09:24
- Important concepts of AppSec testing2 questions
- Web pentesting checklist and environment setup – part 106:30
- Brute force attacks – part 207:05
- SQL injection attacks – part 305:06
- XSS attacks – part 403:54
- Components with known vulnerabilities04:49
- Components with known vulnerabilities1 question
- Key Takeaways04:04
- Bonus: Additional Resources01:25
After writing his first lines of code at the age of 11, Christophe developed a passion for technology. Frustrated with the state & cost of education, he spent the last few years training individuals and organizations (SMB & F500) on how to use the cloud by pioneering hands-on training technologies. During his journey of building two successful IT businesses to acquisition in the last six years, he realized that most struggle with building secure software, so he co-founded Cybr to help make the world a more secure place through community and training.
We are an online community and training platform, and we're here to help you build your cybersecurity career.
Cybr was founded in 2020 by veterans of the IT and training industries who have helped individuals learn new skills and get certified, and businesses deploy training initiatives across their organization.
We believe that the world can be a safer place through training and community, and we intend to carry out that mission one person at a time! Join us on this mission and build your cybersecurity career regardless of your current skill level.