The Wisdom of the Women Doctors of the Catholic Church
What you'll learn
- To understand the term, Doctor of the Church & its relevance
- What a Christian Mystic is
- To name the four women Doctors of the Church, & describe their culture & times
- Be able to share the life stories of the women Doctors of the Church & their importance for today's world
- Be able to apply the wisdom of these Christian mystics to your own life for personal & spiritual growth
- The only requirement is to have a desire to learn about Christian mystics & Christian spirituality
In this course you will learn about four wise women, Christian mystics, who are also Doctors of the Catholic Church. I have entitled this course the Wisdom of the Women Doctors of the Catholic Church because the feminine voice of Christian mysticism is relevant & has much to share with us today. Out of the 36 Doctors of the Church, there are only these four women & they deserve to be heard: Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Siena, Therese of Lisieux & Hildegard of Bingen, all saints in the Catholic Church. "How can it be," you ask, "that these women who lived between 150 & 900 years ago have something to share with me?" Their stories of struggle, of disappointment, conflict with their contemporaries, including church leaders, & their desire to have an authentic relationship with the Divine allowed their voices to be heard which resulted in the betterment of the world around them, which is something we would all wish for ourselves. These women are models of prayer, wisdom & love,. They stood up to & denounced the corruption in the Church patriarchy. Their wisdom can help each one of us find our voices & lead us to a spiritual transformation they teach us to love as God loves. Won’t you join me in discovering the wisdom of these women in this course?
If you have a desire to become inspired, to learn more about Christian mystics, more about the great women Doctors of the Church and the effects they had on the evolution of Church theology and spirituality, then this is the course for you. These four women are companions for your spiritual journey and can offer you support as you walk your path to get closer to God and to live out a life of love. They can act as guides for you as you traverse through the burdens and blessings of life.
In this course you will learn about :
- Christian mysticism
- who the four women Doctors of the Church were
- the benefits of having women as Doctors of the Church
- what a Doctor of the Church is
- & the life, times, spirituality, & legacy of each of these magnificent Christian gurus, if I can borrow a word from our Hindu & Buddhist friends.
You will see how these 4 women:
- broke out of their expected roles as quiet nuns & religious women.
- broke through the confines of time & place so as to bring to us, in the 21st century, their sage insight.
- were contemplatives in action, as they courageously spoke truth to power.
Each of these women were scripture-oriented and believed in the Trinitarian God: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They trusted the guidance they received that came through visions, or locutions from the Holy Spirit. It is that Spirit who enlivened them and gave them strength, knowledge & verve to perform actions that moved not only their contemporaries but moves the Church even today along with all of those who dare to listen intently to their stories.
As an aficionado of Christian mysticism & the Christian mystics, I have had the opportunity to present their stories on many occasions. The audience is often quite captured & amazed at how God works in such an extraordinary manner in & through the lives of these women. Each person in the audience may glean some element to take home & ponder, & perhaps be moved to some new action or deeper reflection or relationship with God; a change of heart & mind that transforms his or her life.
Throughout the course, you will:
- get a glimpse at the particular culture & society of each of these four women mystics
- be exposed to some of their works, visions, & life experiences, enough so you can confidently tell their stories to others, if you wish.
- have reflection activities within the course as well as handouts of pertinent information & the works cited, all for you to access & download.
With a Master’s degree in Pastoral Studies and a focus on Christian Spirituality, I fell in love with the Christian mystics back in 2005 and it is a love affair that just won’t quit. I have authored a book, Awakening the Mystic in You, Messages of Light from the Christian mystics (you can find it on my personal website you'll find at my Instructor Profile) along with an inspirational card deck entitled, The Wisdom of the Christian Mystics, and have penned a journal article, Ten Steps to Awaken Your Inner Mystic. I am a practicing spiritual director and work for my local Catholic diocese. I have several other classes on this course website concerning Christian mystics and have given many presentations on the Christian mystics as well.
I hope you will find this course helpful to you. I am happy to respond to any questions that you may have. You can submit questions on the course website. I will respond within a week but usually much sooner than that. If you would like more information before purchasing the course, there are free previews on the course website as well as a promotional video. Thank you for considering this course.
May you be blessed abundantly as you continue on your spiritual journey.
Who this course is for:
- Ideal learners will be those interested in Christian mystics, Doctors of the Church, Christian Spirituality &/or Catholic Church history
Ramona Harris is the author of, Awakening the Mystic in You, Messages of Light from the Christian Mystics. She has also created an inspirational card deck entitled, The Wisdom of the Christian Mystics and penned an article for the Spiritual Director’s International Presence Journal called Ten Steps to Awaken Your Inner Mystic. Ramona presents topics on Christian mystics and the women Doctors of the Church. She has been a spiritual director since 2005 receiving her training at Mercy Center in Burlingame, CA. She was on the Institute for Catholic Spirituality and Spiritual Directors’ training team bringing a three-year spiritual director training program to the Central Valley of CA. She has a master’s degree in Pastoral Studies from Loyola University, Institute for Ministry, where she focused on Christian spirituality and cultivated an affinity for the Christian mystics. She also has a master’s degree in Education-Counseling from California State University, Stanislaus. Her bachelor’s degree is in Sociology. Ramona was a faculty member for the School of Ministry at the Catholic Diocese of Stockton. There she taught courses on Adult Faith Development, Mary, the Mother of God, Spirituality, the Profession of Faith and Theological Reflection. She is retired from the California community college system and served for many years as a college counselor. Prior to that, Ramona worked as a social worker and manager for the local county Community Services Agency. Ramona is passionate about the Christian mystics and will share their stories with anyone who will listen.