Intro to Dog Parkour: For Titles or Just For Fun
What you'll learn
- Learn 15 fun dog parkour exercises, step-by-step from beginner to advanced
- Learn polite dog manners along the way: impulse control, recall, focus, communication... even around distractions!
- Start earning your Level 1 title in All Dogs Parkour (without leaving home!)
- Challenge your dog physically and mentally, with an emphasis on safety
- Willingness to have fun, be safe, and use positive reinforcement
- Basic "stay" and "come" are helpful but not required
Sure, dog parkour involves jumping, crawling, running, and balancing. But is it SO much more than that!
Your dog won't just learn parkour in this class. Kate's parkour exercises also teach skills that are critical for everyday life: impulse control, recall, focus, and communication with you... even when distractions are present.
Parkour exercises -- jumping, balancing atop objects, running in patterns, and more -- should not be about daredevil tricks that risk your dog's health or break his trust in you. Instead, parkour is a way to build the communication between you and your dog through fun activities. And you can win titles and ribbons along the way! Kate emphasizes safety and skill-building from the ground up, as in any true competitive sport.
By the end of this class, you'll be ready to start earning your Level 1 title with All Dogs Parkour, an international dog parkour organization that awards titles via video submission. Dogs of all shapes, ages, and abilities are encouraged to participate in ADP.
Kate is a certified dog parkour instructor, certified dog trainer, certified dog behavior consultant, and award-winning author of dog training books, so you and your dog are in the best hands.
Lessons are short and clear, with tons of step-by-step videos you can easily follow. Join the parkour party with Kate and her Chihuahua mixes, and you'll learn skills that go far beyond just fun and games!
Who this course is for:
- Dogs of all ages, builds, and needs
- Total beginners, dogs with some manners training, or dogs competing in other sports
- Dogs with lots of energy
- Dogs needing a confidence boost
- Dogs that struggle to focus or were manners-class "dropouts"
- People from all countries. (Explanations are in clear English with subtitles.)
Kate Naito, CDBC, CPDT-KA, ADP-CI, MS is a certified dog behavior consultant, certified dog trainer, certified dog parkour instructor, and award-winning author of two training books: BKLN Manners™ and Play Your Way to Good Manners.
Kate's qualifications in dog behavior and training assure you are learning the most up-to-date, humane, and scientifically-based techniques. Her extensive background as an educator means her courses are clearly organized and easy to follow, even for new dog owners.
Kate owns High Ten Dog Training in Connecticut (USA) and teaches at the Brooklyn Dog Training Center in Brooklyn, NY. She uses positive-reinforcement training methods to teach dogs how to overcome problematic behaviors and have polite manners in all situations.
She is the 2019 recipient of the "Best Book: Training or Sports" award by the Dog Writers Association of America. Kate's work has been featured in publications such as Animal Wellness, and her television appearances include Ask the Expert on AKC TV and The Pet Show with Dr. Katy.