Introduction to Cyber Security
What you'll learn
- Identify the greatest threats to your IT systems
- Perform a risk assessment that's specific to your infrastructure
- Understand the principles involved with applying risk controls to your systems
- Understand the principles involved with incorporating external and internal security audits
- Develop a full incident management plan
- Create an incident recovery playbook
- No pre-requisite knowledge or skills are needed for this course
Security is scary.
It's our job as IT managers, admins, developers of one kind or another, or even security professionals to ensure that our applications and services are running smoothly. And that includes maintaining safe and reliable connectivity for our teams and end users. But no matter how many best-practices and automated monitoring solutions we adopt, there'll always be another threat trying to ruin your day.
You know you and your team should be doing a better job incorporating security into everything you do, but there are just so many threats out there and just so much to know. Where should you even begin?
In this short course, you'll learn about the core principles driving modern cyber security operations. We'll talk about how to perform comprehensive risk assessments for your infrastructure, develop protocols for risk control, and build effective plans for incident management and recovery.
When you're done, you won't have any specific new skills using log analysis, penetration testing, or vulnerability assessment tools. Instead I'll give you a big picture view of what processes you'll need to adopt so that you'll know which tools are right for you, and so you can be confident you're not leaving anything out.
Who this course is for:
- IT project managers looking to plan more secure deployments
- System administrators looking to improve the security of their infrastructure
- Application developers and admins responsible for infrastructure health
- Individuals exploring a career in cyber security
For most people, watching an instructor doing something – or even reading an excellent guide – is not the best way to learn a complex set of skills. Those might be critically important elements of your quest for excellence in some technical field, but unless you dive in and work through real-world problems on your own, you’ll never truly master the material.
Our technology books, Udemy and Pluralsight video courses, and other content present you with all the background and information you’ll need to get started. But more significantly, they are designed to push you as quickly as possible out “into the field” where you can earn effective hands-on experience (and money!) using the real tools of your trade.
David Clinton is an AWS solutions architect and Linux server administrator. He has written about and published training content (including books with Wiley/Sybex, Bootstrap IT, and Manning, and online courses on Udemy and Pluralsight) for many cutting edge technology subjects including Linux systems, Cloud Computing (in particular Amazon's AWS), container technologies like containers, data analytics, and DevOps tools. More than 60,000 of his books are currently in circulation and his video courses have been viewed by more than a half a million students...just like you!