Interviewing Techniques for the Insurance Professional
What you'll learn
- Explore the interview process and how it is used by an insurance professional.
- Explore the various methods used by an interviewer to obtain information.
- Explore the difference between the scientific and artistic methods of interview.
- Identify how the interviewer prepares for an interview.
- Identify how the location of an interview can affect the interview.
- Identify how an interview is the basis of an insurance fraud investigation.
- No Advanced Preparation or Prerequisites are needed for this course.
This course explains the methods used by insurance claims and investigative personnel to obtain as much material information available to the insured and witnesses. The course discusses that interviews happen everywhere to everyone. The insurance professional will use techniques first developed by police and military authorities who conduct interrogations, though taking the concept of interrogation and turning it into softer and more informal interviews. The insurance professional uses various techniques for obtaining information.
The course covers the following:
- What is the interview?
- When is the interview a scientific exercise?
- When is the interview an art form?
- What is the purpose of the insurance interview?
- How does the interviewer prepare?
- What is important about body language?
- How does the interviewer obtain control of the interview?
- Obligations of insurers when insurance fraud is suspected.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in techniques for the insurance professional
Illumeo, incorporated in 2009, is revolutionizing the hide-bound world of corporate learning. Illumeo works with corporate professionals and organizations of all sizes to build the skills and capabilities that help everyone be an expert at their job.
Based in Silicon Valley, CA, Illumeo serves thousands of corporations and corporate professionals across Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Sales and Marketing. The platform offers assessments, industry-benchmarked competency analyses, hundreds of expert-developed courses, collaborative tools, and the ability for companies to self-publish internal courses that promote institutional knowledge retention and dissemination.
Illumeo is the place for expertise management and we are dedicated to the proposition that everyone can be an expert at their job.
Barry Zalma, Esq., CFE, has practiced law in California for more than 42 years as an insurance coverage and claims handling lawyer. He now limits his practice to service as an insurance consultant and expert witness specializing in insurance coverage, insurance claims handling, insurance bad faith and insurance fraud almost equally for insurers and policyholders. He also serves as an arbitrator or mediator for insurance related dispute
He founded Zalma Insurance Consultants in 2001 and serves as its only consultant.
Consultant/Expert Witness : Zalma Insurance Consultants - [2009-07 to Current]
Consult with policy holders and insurers about claims handling and bad faith issues.
Attorney : Barry Zalma, Inc. - [1979-10 to Current]
Represent clients involved in litigation dealing with insurance, insurance coverage and insurance claims handling and insurance bad faith.
Senior Claims Representative : Fireman's Fund American Insurance Compan - [1967-09 to 1972-02]
Investigate and adjust claims presented to the Fireman's Fund insurance company by its insureds or by claimants seeking damages from the persons insured.
Special Agent, Intelligence : US Army Intelligence School - [1964-01 to 1964-12]
Became a US Army Intelligence Special Agent and Special Agent, US Army Intelligence Corps, Peoria, Illinois, residence office.
JD, Law : The University of West Los Angeles - [1967 to 1971]
AB, Philosophy : Claremont Men's College (Now Claremont McKenna College) - [1960 to 1963]