Interviewing Crash Course - Hiring great (tech) talent
What you'll learn
- Identify the key traits you want from candidates and information to be gained
- Discover the most effective types of questions to reveal the most about candidates
- Review the best predictors of performance
- Learn how to conduct the interview to put candidates at ease
- Recognise the most common sources of interviewing bias
- Structure each interview to maximise signal
- Get a walkthrough of different interview types
- Use a standard scoring system to reduce indecision and bias
- Get inspiration from a large collection of curated questions and scoring criteria
- Avoid mis-hires
- No experience is necessary. Join the course if you want to learn how to hire the best candidates for your open roles.
Welcome to the Interviewing Crash Course!
Assessing candidates can be a daunting task. The success of organisations hinges on identifying and attracting the best candidates, and yet so much is left to chance or first impressions, which are usually wrong.
As a manager, your most important job is to identify the best people for the job, however most managers never receive specific training on how to prepare for and conduct an effective interview.
This course is intentionally concise and jam-packed with pragmatic tips and examples, giving you a reliable framework to evaluate all the important traits of your candidates and make a bias-free judgement.
Who Is This Course For?
Hiring managers and anyone involved with interviewing activities at your company.
Contents and Overview
This course is designed for anyone who is responsible for interviewing candidates at their company. It is suited for both experienced and inexperienced interviewers.
It starts by covering some fundamental principles behind effective hiring, like the correct identification of the role to prepare a good job description, the purpose of an interview, and what information is to be gained.
It lays out a reliable framework to structure various interviews, prepare the script and a score card to assess candidates objectively.
It explains how hiring managers are often swayed by unconscious bias, how such bias presents itself, and how it clouds our judgment.
It covers the specific steps to follow to prepare for an interview, conduct it professionally, and follow up.
Finally, it provides a large collection of ready-to-use questions to highlight different aspects of the candidates, grouped by thematic area, with a guideline on how to assess the answers consistently across candidates and interviewers.
What Will You Get Out of This Course?
A concise 30min course packed with useful content validated by years of experience of hiring managers and psychology studies.
A good understanding of the best predictors of performance.
A framework to structure your interviews and identify the traits and signals most important for the open role.
Templates of questions to assess candidates under different aspects.
Knowledge to help you identify common interviewing mistakes.
Awareness of the main sources of bias.
Probing techniques to go deeper than surface-level, to source more information from candidates and get a clearer picture of their past experiences.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for hiring managers, and for anyone involved with the hiring process
- Whether you've been running interviews for years or have no prior experience, this course will give you a solid framework to make you more effective, confident and successful in finding the best matching candidates for your needs
Lorenzo Alberton is an experienced CTO, Software Engineering Manager and Technical Architect, currently VP of Engineering at Sensat and Resident Advisor at the Oxford Foundry venture accelerator programme.
Over the past 20 years, he's built efficient engineering organisations and large-scale data platforms (at Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin scale).
Lorenzo occasionally speaks at international conferences, contributes to open source projects and mentors many startups.