International Politics Mastery 2020: Think Theoretically
What you'll learn
- Speak about most problems of international politics with confidence and more profound understanding even if you have never studied Politics or International Relations at a university.
- Use the exact formula for developing powerful arguments about most problems of international politics.
- Know which question to always ask about any problem of international politics in order to begin thinking theoretically.
- Understand and explain international politics at a much deeper and more rewarding level than simply by consuming the news headlines as they arrive on your smartphone.
- Educate others about how to properly understand and analyse issues like the North Korean nuclear crisis, financial crisis or Russian foreign policy.
- Use the exact 3 steps to take any problem of international politics and explain it at a more fundamental, theoretical level.
- Build arguments with the help of the most important and powerful theoretical concepts of international. politics, including anarchy, balance of power, security dilemma, international norms and international integration.
- The course is designed for all study levels and therefore does not require prior education in Politics or International Relations.
- I speak slowly throughout the course which helps non-native English speaking students. Remember you can accelerate the pace of video lectures in settings.
- No upfront reading is necessary. In the course, students will learn about some of the most influential books on each topic.
UPDATE 2020: 1 new lecture:
How to Theorise COVID-19
This video helps you find interesting International Politics dimensions of this crisis. We talk about health security, securitisation, militarisation, human security, globalisation, sovereignty, geopolitics, China, USA, and more. I also explain how you can include the discussion of COVID-19 in your essays and dissertations, if this is relevant to you.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
In this course, you will learn how to understand and explain international politics at a much deeper and more rewarding level than most people do.
You will also learn how to win arguments about international politics issues when you speak to other people.
"In order to achieve these objectives, you need to learn how to think and speak theoretically."
It may sound difficult, but actually, it is not. You just need someone with expert knowledge to explain it clearly using lots of real-life examples.
And that’s what this course is about.
If you read this, I assume you have at least some interest in what’s going on in world politics.
Whether you study for a degree at a university, or you are just generally interested in politics at the international level, there are very good reasons to follow the world news.
Brexit, Donald Trump, Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, wars, conflicts, cooperation, agreements, disagreements.
There is always so much happening. I assume you have at least some interest in some of those issues.
I also assume that you hope to learn something valuable about international politics.
You hope to educate yourself in order to take your understanding of international politics to the next level so that your interest or your passion can be more fulfilling and more rewarding.
If that’s the case, this course is for you.
"You are going to learn how to understand and explain international politics with more insight and more expertise. You are also going to learn how to build more convincing arguments when speaking about international politics with others."
Why I Created This Course
If you are still unconvinced about the importance of thinking theoretically about international politics, I am going to suggest that, actually, most of us already think and speak theoretically.
The only problem is we don’t know we do it. We do it unconsciously.
We say things like:
This political leader is irrational.
We say that something is in the national interest, or not in the national interest of our state.
We say that organisations such as the European Union or United Nations are ineffective.
All these statements contain theoretical concepts. If you don’t know that, you are going to be disadvantaged in any discussion with someone who does know that.
I have created this course to help you recognise whenever yourself or someone else uses theory so that you can use that theory to support your own argument.
I have also created this course because we are overwhelmed with facts about international politics, and it is the purpose of theory to make sense of those facts.
We live in the times when we are really overwhelmed with facts. Our problem is not seeking and finding information about what’s happening in the world.
Our actual problem is scrutinising and managing the information we receive.
We actually live in times where information is being pushed at us from all sides, and we must sometimes actively resist new information.
Now, don’t get me wrong: we need to know the facts about problems to begin thinking theoretically about them.
What You Will Get in This Course
In this course, you are going to learn the exact formula to think and speak theoretically about international politics.
Yes, there is a simple formula to follow. I will explain it in detail and I will also show you lots of examples of how to use it to make your own arguments.
I will use some every-day examples to make the formula more understandable, and then I will properly apply it to a number of international security problems, so you get the full picture.
Inside you will learn:
How to understand and explain international politics at a much deeper and more rewarding level than simply by consuming the news headlines as they arrive on your smartphone
The exact formula for developing powerful arguments about most problems of international politics
One question which you should always ask about any problem of international politics in order to begin thinking theoretically
Why thinking theoretically is 100 times more interesting and exciting than just knowing facts about international politics
The exact 3 steps to take any problem of international politics and explain it at a more fundamental, theoretical level
How to build your argument with the help of the most important and powerful theoretical concepts of international politics, including anarchy, balance of power, security dilemma, international norms and international integration.
How most people misunderstand the complexity of international politics
How we all use theory when we speak about problems of world politics, but we just don’t realize it - and why it's a problem
How we can educate others to be more critical, more insightful and simply more accurate in how they perceive international politics
Why using 'common sense' to understand international politics can be deceptive and is inferior to applying theoretical thinking
Why it's untrue to assume that facts is all you need to understand what’s happening in world politics
Why exactly facts don't speak for themselves
How to apply powerful theories of international relations to understand problems such as the North Korean nuclear crisis and the financial crisis of 2007/2008
What the ladder of abstraction is and why you should aim to climb as high as possible on that ladder
From a student: "This course is well-suited to anyone who wants to be able to speak about international politics with greater clarity and authority, or otherwise have a sturdy foundation and a solid starting point for diving deeper into the subject. As a prospective Political Science PhD student, I was already fairly familiar with most of the concepts introduced throughout the course, however, the course added to my familiarity with those concepts and provided me with a much more robust framework in which to organize my existing knowledge and marshal better arguments about the topics covered in it, such as the security dilemma. Moreover, I also gained new, valuable knowledge that will serve me well in my academic life. Learning about the ladder of abstraction, for instance, furnished me with a new tool with which to conceptualize and think about political problems on the world stage more effectively than before. No matter your background and your prior knowledge of world politics, you are bound to learn something new, build upon your knowledge and benefit from taking this course. For those reasons, I highly recommend this course and give it a well-deserved 5-star rating!"
My Promise to You
I promise that the tuition in this course is of the highest quality, based on genuine university-level research. It is presented in a highly-accessible and engaging way, designed specifically for those who do not have prior university degree in Politics or International Relations.
I invite you to send me a message if you have any questions about the content of this course.
International Politics Mastery is the first course of this kind and I am committed to make it as useful for you as possible. So please feel free to get in touch with suggestions on how I can improve this course.
With the 30-day 100% money back guarantee, there is no reason why you should not try the course out right now.
Who this course is for:
- Individuals interested in the problems of international politics, particularly those who regularly watch the news, read newspapers or follow on-line media.
- Commentators, bloggers and journalists covering international politics.
- Students of Politics and International Relations who want to consolidate their knowledge and improve their grades.
- Policy practitioners who want to improve their analytical skills and better understand the context of their policy activities.
ABOUT MY COURSES
Each of my courses is designed as a standalone course offering you knowledge and skills related to an important aspect of International Relations.
Taken together, my courses complement each other, offering you complete, university-level education in International Relations.
International Relations Academy Curriculum:
1. International Politics Mastery: How to Think Theoretically - Learn why it's beneficial to think more theoretically about International Relations, how to do it and explore lots of examples.
2. International Politics Mastery: Levels of Analysis - Instantly approach international politics in a much more comprehensive way with this key International Relations framework
3. International Relations Theory: Realism - Learn realism: Dominant IR theory, from ancient Greece to today, power, anarchy, human nature, security, world examples.
4. International Relations Theory: Liberalism - Learn liberalism: university-level, all key authors, human rights, democratic peace, institutions, soft power, examples.
5. Introduction to International Relations - International Relations for beginners: history, theories, states, sovereignty, war, peace, int. organisations, economy
I'm an award-winning, full-time UK academic (Associate Professor in International Politics).
I have been researching International Relations since 2007, publishing widely in prestigious academic journals. I have two published books with the last one looking into Europe-Russia relations.
I teach hundreds of students each year and my passion for teaching has been recognised through numerous university awards.
The European Commission recognised my excellence by awarding me so-called Jean Monnet Chair (Professor) of European Security, which carries a grant of £46.000.
I joined Udemy because I like working with students but I also like new technologies. I am a bit of a geek in that way (still play computer games now and then!)
My on-line courses focus on International Relations, Foreign Policy, International Security and related subjects. They are meant to give you concrete knowledge and skills to understand and speak about most problems of international politics with confidence.
Whether you are a student or just someone who wants to educate yourself, I would encourage you to give my course a go. They all come a 30-day money back guarantee if you decide they are not for you.
One thing I would like you to keep in mind is that facts are NOT knowledge, understanding and ability. That's why I would suggest that you perhaps stop following world news all the time and instead begin educating yourself in order to understand the world better.
I do my best to add new content regularly so that you can stay on top of the most recent research to expand your skills.