InDesign CC: Book Production, Laying a solid foundation
What you'll learn
- Select book size, margins, column width, and more for the print version of their books
- Develop typographically excellent paragraph designs coupled with the knowledge needed to make professional decisions
- Will be able to set up an efficient default set of paragraph styles and character styles
- Basic introductory knowledge of InDesign CC
- A desire to make books look professional
This is an essential typography course. Books, almost more than any project, need superlative typography to enable your readers to actually read the book. Without these skills and knowledge, your books will be compromised before you even release them.
You will discover why InDesign is necessary for book production. Word, and word processors in general, do not even have the capability of producing excellent typography.
This course covers the basic concepts you need to understand before you start putting your book together: how to set up your document—size, margins, and column width; Typography: what it is and how you produce excellent, readable typography so you can design your paragraphs to enable your readers to comfortably enjoy reading your book. By the time you finish the course, you will be amazed at all you didn't know about typography, readability, and how to communicate with your readers [or the readers of your clients].
Who this course is for:
- An author or graphic designer who needs to produce better quality books and ebooks,
- The designer who needs typographic skill
- Began art & design career doing posters for my acid rock band in Minneapolis
- Earned my BFA in printmaking & painting in 1971
- Illustrated for publishers as soon as I was graduated
- Became a graphic artist in 1979 in West Virginia
- Grew into Typographer & Art Director in 1983 in Albuquerque at a large commercial printer
- Began teaching commercial printing in 1991 in a large community college in Albuquerque
- Started writing textbooks in 1994 beginning with “Printing In A Digital World”—the 1st textbook on the all-digital workflow for commercial printing
- Began designing fonts to use in my books
- Developed digital publishing degree in 1996
- Initiated on-demand publishing house for print & ebooks in 2002—which developed into a full-time effort in 2009