Public Speaking Success: IMPROMPTU public speaking
What you'll learn
- Speak off the cuff for up to 4 minutes
- Have a sound knowledge of some public speaking speech frameworks you can use during impromptu speaking
- Understand how to expand upon a subject when public speaking, even when you don't have a great deal of knowledge on it.
- You should be able to speak and understand English
- You should have access to a timing device or stopwatch
- You should have access to a quiet place where you can practise the public speaking questions without being interrupted.
About this course
Become stronger and more confident at impromptu public speaking in 7 days. This course leads you step-by-step through proven impromptu public speaking frameworks and speech delivery techniques. The steps are simple and rely on practice and common sense.
Are you ready to speak impromptu with confidence and ease?
Then you’re in the right place. I have compiled a simple step-by-step system that will show you how to speak off the cuff without breaking into a sweat. All you need to do is spend 15 - 20 minutes each day for one week.
As the author of a best-selling public speaking book, a public speaking trainer, and an international performer, I will show you a variety of ways to approach impromptu speaking.
No more nerves and sweaty palms. Know how to cope with almost any impromptu public speaking situation and how to structure your answer so that you don’t have to worry about what to say next.
- Do you start to tremble when you’re asked to speak up during work meetings?
- Do you worry what to say next?
- Are your impromptu public speaking answers too brief?
- Do your impromptu answers lack structure and clarity?
- Do you struggle to engage people with your stories when public speaking off the cuff?
- Is your vocal expression dull and monotone?
- Would you like to achieve public speaking to groups for several minutes without needing to script your words?
- Would you like to feel comfortable in social situations where small talk or chit chat is needed?
- Does the thought of running a Q&A session make you nervous when public speaking?
- Are you afraid you’ll dry up and run out of things to say?
Each day you will learn a new impromptu public speaking framework, take on at least one new mindset or delivery tip and practise several questions.
Over the course of the 7 days you will go from impromptu public speaking for just 1-minute, all the way to being able to provide a 4-minute answer.
Each video lecture contains an example question and an additional question for you to try under timed conditions.
There is also a daily homework lecture containing two further impromptu public speaking questions and a summary of the day’s delivery strategies.
You will also find self-assessment handouts for the beginning and end of the course.
For those who complete the course there is even a special surprise gift, highly relevant and useful if you want your impromptu public speaking to improve.
What am I going to get from this course?
- You will gain the confidence to help you through job interviews, Q&A sessions, small talk, conversation with strangers, Toastmasters Table Topics and more, when you are public speaking.
- You will have a step-by-step plan to improve your impromptu public speaking
- You will learn 7 speaking frameworks to apply to off-the-cuff public speaking situations
- You will know how to open and close your impromptu speech
- You will learn how to deliver your speech so that it makes sense and stays on track
- You will learn how to vary your delivery when public speaking, to keep things interesting for your audience
- You will learn how to bring your public speaking stories to life and how to engage your listeners
- We will talk about confidence and mindset
- We will talk about strategies to get through your impromptu public speaking situation and remain in the moment with your audience.
Who is the target audience?
This course is ideal for those who lack confidence in off-the-cuff speaking situations and are relatively new to impromptu public speaking.
This course is NOT for those who are already super confident at impromptu public speaking.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who would like to speak 'off the cuff' more confidently
- People who want to get better at 'table topics' or impromptu public speaking
- Students who need to speak up during lectures
- Anyone in the business world who has to use public speaking during meetings and wants to know how to structure their responses
Hi, I'm Shola - award-winning public speaker, author of the books 'How to be a D.I.V.A. at Public Speaking' (D.I.V.A. is an acronym that represents what it takes to be a well-rounded speaker) and 'Big Talk Small Talk: Communication skills for all parts of your life', and formerly, a professional singer.
Some of my articles on public speaking have appeared in publications such as Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar and other publications.
I'm super excited about being a Udemy instructor and being able to connect with students from such a diverse range of backgrounds.
I teach several public speaking courses here at Udemy so please take a look!
These days, most people are short on time so I like to create short, punchy courses that get you results fast. There'll always be a workbook containing exercises you can apply immediately to your speeches and speaking.
Courses include how to be:
- a DYNAMIC speaker
- an INSPIRING speaker
- a VALUABLE speaker
- an AUTHENTIC speaker
- an IMPROMPTU speaker
Courses can be taken in any order - they're not sequential. Just choose the areas that you feel need the most improvement.
I'm a fully qualified teacher with a Post Graduate Certificate of Education from Oxford University, an undergraduate degree in Natural Sciences from Cambridge University and a Masters from Emory University in the USA.
I used to HATE public speaking and even got fired from a job many years ago for being too afraid to speak up during meetings. Now, I really enjoy public speaking and performance and have spoken to crowds of 1,500 people and sung to more than 3,000 at a time.
What helps me, and many of my clients, overcome fear and nerves is to remember you're there to be of service to the audience.
It's not about you...you're just the messenger.
I enjoy tennis, rebounding and Thai food and love to travel - I lived in the USA for 7 years while I got my Masters degree, working in consulting for a while before returning to the UK.
I'm now fully committed to speaking, teaching and performing; my dream activities.
Here are a few reviews on my 5* Amazon book, How to be a D.I.V.A. at Public Speaking:
Shola has developed a unique, highly effective and easy to understand system to master public speaking. I cannot wait to transform my speeches and presentations into high impact, engaging and authentic performances! I already feel like a DIVA. A valuable book which I'm sure many will find motivating and uplifting. - Saija Mahon, Founder CEO of Mahon Digital Marketing Ltd
'How to be a DIVA at public speaking' is a pocket-rocket packed full of tips, tools and techniques to make you a fabulous public speaker. Shola's DIVA system is a clear, practical approach for novices and developing speakers alike. However, what makes this book stand out is the second half, with the guidance you need to actually deliver your speech as a professional. Strong female role models abound within these pages (not least of whom is Shola). But guess what? It turns out men can be DIVAs too. Worth every penny - I will be rereading on a regular basis. - Nick Westall, Chief Technology Officer, CACI Ltd
Packed with all the possible advice and information on how to run a successful speech, the author will guide you through important topics on how to handle the emotions of speaking in public, how to engage with your audience and how to manage the logistics. A comprehensive guide that was written with passion and authenticity, with the added value of the author's experience on stage as a singer as well as a public speaker. You will start reading and feel engaged straight away. - Marta DeMartini, Photographer