IGNITE the Change Agent Within
What you'll learn
- Identify common objections to sustainability proposals.
- Recognize the real reason people reject sustainability initiatives.
- Practice leadership strategies to overcome resistance to change and sustainability.
- Interest in sustainability
- Desire to promote change
Have you ever tried to sell sustainability or other important changes (e.g. technology, innovations) within your organization or to clients or vendors, only to encounter excuses or copouts? There are some typical responses you may hear from those who seemingly oppose sustainability initiatives, such as “customers won’t pay for it” or “we don’t have time.” It’s easy to interpret this as “we’re not interested” but what you’re more likely facing is basic human nature: resistance to change! Most people get that sustainability and innovation are important, but it can be like putting a size 10 foot into a size 6 shoe. Organizations need to be stretched to accommodate such initiatives and that takes bold leadership! Whether you are the person making the excuses or the one trying to overcome the resistance, change is possible if you embrace the Top 10 leadership principles shared in this session. The context for this course is sustainability and many of the examples are from hospitality but these "excuses" come up in other contexts and the leadership principles apply to any change!
Who this course is for:
- Managers and employees who want to influence sustainability in their organization
- Aspiring leaders who want to use skills for sustainability and positive impact
- Service industry professionals who want to implement sustainability
- Professionals who want to improve their change management skills
Dr. Aurora Dawn Benton, founder of Astrapto, is devoted to shedding light on social and environmental issues and helping people with practical and business-oriented solutions. Aurora has 30 years of experience with more than a decade in sustainability and social impact. She founded Astrapto LLC to provide practical, business-oriented solutions to social and environmental issues. She helps clients move the needle through sustainability assessments, roadmaps, training, coaching, and reporting. Astrapto’s impact ranges from measurable and significant reductions in food waste to landfill to engaged and excited employees seeking opportunities to impact their communities. Aurora’s clients include World Wildlife Fund (Hotel-Kitchen), Centerplate, Baltimore Convention Center, Green Seal (hotel eco-certification), various Hilton properties, Florida International University, and independent restaurant groups.