IELTS Speaking Exam - all you need to know
What you'll learn
- Learn how to answer IELTS Speaking questions according to the marking criteria and the differences between the band scores.
- Learn how to extend and develop your answers.
- Learn topic specific vocabulary and idiomatic language.
- Learn the most important pronunciation features to help you speak like a native.
- Learn the tips and techniques of how to answer when you don't have information about the question.
- Hear some sample answers (from Parts 1, 2 and 3) of previously asked IELTS questions.
- Learn how to be comfortable and confident while speaking.
- Learn ways to practice and improve your speaking skills before the exam.
- Practice your answers with timed mock tests
- Intermediate level of English
- Have the time and desire to put in the hard work to practice every day.
This course is designed to help you understand the IELTS Speaking exam so you know what the examiner is looking for, how you are being marked, and what you need to do to achieved your required band score.
There are TIMED MOCK TESTS to help you practice answering a full exam, as well as videos with my feedback and assessment of students taking a mock exam.
The course includes tips and techniques used for answering all three parts of the exam:
Part 1 - how to extend your answers without making your answers too long.
Part 2 - how to continue speaking for up to 2 minutes, how to stay on topic, and how to avoid running out of things to say.
Part 3 - how to develop and extend your answers and not to talk about yourself.
You will also learn about the following four criteria used to score your speaking:
Fluency and coherence - how to speak at length without too much hesitation, repetition and self correction. The fillers and language we use when we need time to think, correct ourselves or just to connect our ideas.
Lexical resource - the importance of using topic specific vocabulary, phrases, expressions, collocations, idioms and phrasal verbs. How to paraphrase effectively and use words accurately.
Grammatical range and accuracy - use a variety of tenses and grammar structures, and how making too many grammar mistakes will reduce your score.
Pronunciation - learn the most common pronunciation features native speakers use, such as intonation and stress, connected speech, weak forms and chunking.
By the end of this course, you will have all the information you need to help develop your speaking skills, and be on your way to achieving your desired band score.
* The course will be regularly updated with extra resources and practice materials.
Who this course is for:
- Intermediate level students
Hi! I'm Vanessa, and I've been preparing students for the IELTS exam for more than five years. I was born in Australia, so I'm a native English speaker, and I've been teaching English as a second language since 2012.
My IELTS courses will help you to understand what is required in order to score well in the exam.
Always remember that IELTS doesn't test you on how many exam tips and tricks you know - it's a test of your language ability, so never stop increasing your general English by learning vocabulary, collocations, phrases and grammar. The better your English is, the better your score will be.
Work hard, prepare well, and never give up on your dreams! :)