Icon Design in Adobe XD - From Sketching to Flat Icon Sets
What you'll learn
- Vector Design
- Sketching your ideas
- Establishing grids
- Creating simple shapes, paths, and strokes to make complex icons
- Creating custom shapes with the pen tool
- Using Transparency
- Practical graphic design skills that can be used in Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Sketch, Figma and dozens of other design tools
- Exporting icons in PNG, SVG, JPG, PDF and more
- A computer with Adobe XD installed (which is FREE)
- Basic knowledge of how to navigate around your computer's file system
- Basic drawing tools are recommended such as a pencil, eraser, and sketchbook or paper
Learn how to design visually engaging and cohesive icon sets in any program. I'll teach best practices on brainstorming icons, finding the right metaphors, sketching your ideas, and finally designing high resolution icons and simple icon versions that will work on smaller screens.
Although I'll be teaching you in Adobe XD (because it is free), I'm going to cover tools that are also found in your favorite design programs including:
and many more
The concepts you learn here can be put into practice for web graphics, web design, interaction design, graphic illustration and much more.
Things you will learn in this course include:
Overview of Adobe XD
Understanding types of icons and when to use them
Creating a design brief and planning your icons to have a consistent style and colors.
Researching icon metaphors and sketching your ideas
Setting up your workspace for icon design
Creating and merging shapes to create complex icons
Balancing icon sizes and positions
Creating a simple icon set
Converting a filled icon set to outlines
Who this course is for:
- Graphic designers wanting to design icons
- Interface designers wanting to design icons
- Designers wanting to learn Adobe XD by example
- Students wanting to advance their career as a graphic or interface designer
- Students wanting to learn Vector Design
Back in 2010, I started brainspin with a desire to design compelling and engaging apps. For over 7 years, I have designed many high profile web and iPhone applications. The applications range from 3D medical aided web applications to project management applications for niche industries.
I am also the founder of a large local design organization, Salt Lake Designers, where I and other local influencers help cultivate the talents of up and coming UX designers through workshops and panel discussions.