Breakin' Footwork 101 - The Complete Beginner’s Course
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Perform and execute fundamental Footwork steps to music
- Perform steps on beat/on rhythm
- Create basic combinations utilizing fundamental Footwork steps
- Confidently freestyle utilizing fundamental Footwork movements
- Warm up properly for dance/athletic movement
- No previous dance experience needed
- Space to practice and train in
- Determination to train and get better everyday (sorry there is no shortcut to mastering dance)
Hi! I’m Darren from NBC's World of Dance crew the Kinjaz and I will be your online dance teacher.
Not to long ago I was a shy introverted kid, who you would probably not even notice was in the room, who didn’t know how to dance… but flash forward to today, I am now dancing, performing, and teaching for hundreds, of thousands of people around the world. I have had the great fortune to dance, train, and perform with some amazing dance companies such as the Kinjaz, Culture Shock Los Angeles, and Kaba Modern and it is my goal to spread all of the knowledge and experience I have uncovered through my 13 years in the Hip Hop industry to new dancers searching to get started[...]
New Dancer Question
The question I get asked the most by new dancers is how do i get better. My immediate answer is, you need to figure out how to be comfortable dancing in front of people or you won’t keep pursuing dance and therefore never get better. Every great dancer knows that to become comfortable dancing in front of people hinges on these 3 things:
- First is the knowledge of basic fundamental steps and how to execute them with good technique...
- Second is your ability to understand basic rhythm in music and how to move on beat to it…
- And finally the amount of confidence you have in YOURSELF to get out there and show off what you got
So with this in mind… Logic would tell us that the greater knowledge you have of basic techniques, and the greater understanding you have of music, and the greater confidence you have…The greater dancer you will be… and there in lies the problem because most of the dance classes you have taken (or thought about taking) actually skip over this stuff making it difficult for you to build the confidence you need to become better.
The All To Common Class Reality
Think about it…Have you ever been in a class struggling to learn a move they are teaching while self consciously feeling embarrassed thinking that everyone is seeing you struggle. Maybe somehow you managed to copy a move but just can’t put your finger on why you don’t look the same as the instructor and when the music comes on you feel like everyone else knows some secret code to stay on beat and somehow you are left out. This is unfortunately an all to common reality for new dancers. The reason this happens is because most classes fail to break down basic movements to it’s simplest form in order for you to understand them. This could be because…
- The skill level of dancers is different in most classes…
- There are too many people in the class for the instructor to really focus on you…
- Sadly some amazing dancers just don’t know how to teach which leaves you both lost and confused as to why you don’t look like them
You can agree that this is not how you are going to get better. You need someone who can patiently breakdown a move to it’s simplest core so you can understand it no matter how long it takes. Someone who can help you understand the music and get you on beat. Someone who teaches you the basics and then gradually guides you to more advanced movements. I want to be that person for you and I have great news…
I have created a course that will do all of this for you. Better yet, when you enroll in this course, I will be able to improve your dancing whenever and wherever you want online.
Why Take An Online Course
Now, you might be thinking why would you take a course online to learn how to dance? Well I’m glad you asked. The reason why I created an online course is because quite frankly, you and I can agree that sometimes there just are not any dance studios, classes, or instructors near you who provide the type of dance training you need to get better. Sure, you can travel far and wide to find the classes and teachers you need. They are out there, but this becomes very expensive and time consuming.
Sure…You could turn to other online tutorials that you can find on YouTube. However, everyone has seen those tutorials that
- Are likely in no logical order for you to progress from basic to more advance movements (Sorry, you can’t run before you know how to walk)
- Don’t break the move down simply enough for you to understand it
- Never show you how to execute the move to music
- Teach the move incorrectly leading you to practice bad technique and risk getting injured (and worse waste your time)
Sadly, There is no way I could physically reach everyone who needs this course in person and to be honest it would cost a HUGE amount of money to take the amount of private lessons needed with me to learn all of the advanced strategies, tips and techniques I show you in this course. That is why I have created this online course to allow people from around the world access to an experienced teacher who wants to help them every step of the way.
The Benefits Of An Online Course
So how will you learn and benefit from the course being online? I created a structured course curriculum that will guide you by the hand through basic fundamental movements in a progressive order (basic to advanced movements) just as if we were having a private, one on one lesson together. Everyone knows that it is difficult to learn anything when you are first introduced to it. The beauty of having this course is that
- You can can learn and master movements at your own pace by returning to any movement lesson as many times as you need
- You can pick up on the small but important details you probably would have missed in a class by being able to skip around each lesson
- You can truly dance like no one is watching you since you can access the course whenever and wherever you want
Every dancer knows that it is easier to dance when no one is there. You can feel stress free learning new moves and build up your confidence to show others whenever you are ready to from the comfort of your home
That’s why you need my course. The amount of information that I have gathered and will teach you, will save you all that time, money and wasted effort you will spend trying to learn from someone who is not qualified or doesn’t understand how to teach you.
Let Me Show You What You Are Getting
Over the past 13 years I have cultivated the knowledge and experience teaching dancers of all different kinds of backgrounds and skill levels how to dance. I’ve documented what teaching methods work and what methods are just flat out ineffective and created a simple, easy to follow course curriculum that you can easily learn from and apply immediately to your dancing
The first section of the course will take you through my personal head to toe warm up. Now…I know that doesn’t seem exciting but this is a very important thing that most dance classes, let alone dancers in general miss or rush through. Everyone knows that once you injure yourself, you will be unable to do anything until you recover, which means the longer it will take for you to get better. You and I both can agree that we want to make you better as fast as possible. By doing this warm up, you will ensure that your joints and muscles are ready and primed for your training, which means less chance of you getting injured and being able to continue your training without any delays and advance quicker.
The next section is the “Fundamental Footwork Steps”. This is where you will learn and be guided through every detail on how to execute a footwork step with perfect technique. On top of that, I will show you how the step is done with music at 3 different tempos which means you will be ready for all types of different music regardless of the speed. As an extra bonus, I have provided a number of Drills and Combos in between new movement lessons so you can feel completely confident utilizing each move before taking on the next, more advanced move. Finally, I give you a blueprint on how to combine all of your new moves that you have mastered into a plug and play template to get you started right away.
Start Improving Right Now
For a one on one private training session that provides you with over 4 hours of concepts, strategies and technique shown in this course, not including the extra hours you gain by being able to rewatch the course as many times as you want, I would normally charge a minimum of $400 (and that’s if we could even get through all this great information in 4 one hour sessions)
But today, I’d like to give you the course for [$50] just for taking a look at my brand new course. That’s right, I am offering to show you the path to reaching your Breakin' goals quickly, safely, and efficiently by providing you new movements, drills, exercises ad warm ups to get you to your goal faster for about the price of one 30min private lesson with me.
This course is offered at this price for a limited time only. As I continue to update the course and add more lessons, I will have no choice but to raise the price. This course is already priced far below what it is worth, so enroll in the course now and receive the added benefit of having access to all future lessons without having to pay the increased price.
Naturally, I’m sure you have some hesitation. I know when I buy stuff, especially something from the web where I can’t see it, feel it, or toy with it, I feel like I am taking a bit of a risk. So here is my guarantee to you. Enroll in this course risk free and If within 30 days of your enrollment you don’t agree that this course is helping you become a better dancer by learning correct technique and execution of movements to music and advanced concepts and strategies then Udemy offers a full refund of your purchase price.
Here’s the deal: This is a killer bargain. What you get in this course is worth literally hundreds of dollars not just in lesson fees but in all the extra cash you will save by not needing to travel to some class that is getting you no where. The price of this course will only continue to increase once more lessons are added so when you enroll now for [$50] you will have lifetime access to the course and all of the future lessons when they are added and not have to pay a cent more. Plus you do all of this risk free because you are covered by a 30 day full refund if you don’t like the course. I am in the position to help you at this point. If you read this far here’s what you need to do for me to actually help you make this real in your life.
Here’s what you need to do now: First i want you to get your wallet and enroll in this course (remember you are under no obligation to keep this and if you want a refund within the first 30 days of enrolling for any reason at all you will get it immediately and we will still be friends). Here’s what’s going to happen next. You will have instant access to the course and I want you to browse through the entire course and decide if this is for you (which I know it will be or else I wouldn’t have wasted your time and made you read this far) to prove to yourself that you have made the right decision because I know what it’s like to be in a position wondering what’s going to happen. Then… enjoy the course and feel free to ask me any questions along the way. See you inside.
P.s. As you know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Is that what you are doing? Aren’t you tired of waiting to learn how to break? Tired of practicing and getting no where? I want to help you out but you need to take action. Enroll in the course now.
P.p.s. Remember, I have spent 13 years teaching, correcting, and guiding hundreds of dancers of all skill levels how to master their movements. I am offering to show you the path to reaching your Breakin' goals quickly, safely, and efficiently by providing you new movements, drills, exercises and warm ups to get you to your goal faster for about the price of one 30min private lesson. On top of that, you can’t possibly lose because of Udemy’s 30 day money back guarantee so what are you waiting for. Enroll in the course now before the price increases
- Students of all ages
- Students who are new to breakdance/dance in general
- Students who are hungry to grow
Perform each exercise for a minimum of 5-10 repetitions on both sides/directions
- Outward rotations
- Inward rotations
- Lateral raise
- Forward and back
- On all 4's
- Hip opener
Things to remember:
- Utilize one arm until you get to the "hook" position
- Place both hands down like a pushup and put weight on only your arms to allow you to jump over your straight leg
- Try your best after your jump to find your center over your bent leg and return to a one leg straight one leg tucked position
Things to remember:
- You will be switching your weight from right to left over and over again
- 6 Step is a pattern, alternating from right to left or vice versa
- only use both hand when you get to the frog stance position
- You don't need to take giant steps
- You should have a slight bend in your leg when stepping
Things to remember:
- Front shuffles is just a pattern of kicking out front, side, front
- Pretend like your feet are on buttons and make sure your feet always returns to a button
- For back shuffles use your upper torso to create different pictures
- You can alternate hands for back shuffles or keep both hands on the ground
Things to remember:
- Keep your knees together for a cleaner CC
- You can roll on the side of your foot to your toe
- You can also jump from your heel to your toe
- You can land from your CC and then switch your feet
- You can also switch your feet in mid air after doing your CC
- Always make sure your bent leg returns to a tucked position under your butt
- Your straight leg does not have to be completely straight for your CC
Things to remember:
- Roll on the side of your foot to you toe
- Place your bent leg in the center of your body like a running lunge when in the push up position of the zulu spin
- Make sure you always find your center over your bent leg and return to a tucked position
- Use your tucked leg to spin around yourself
Things to remember:
- The 4 step is basically a pattern of frog stance, one leg tucked, neutral stance, hook
- There are many ways to do a 4 step, as long as your pattern consists of 4 steps then you are technically doing a 4 step
- Make sure your feet come back to neutral and not a bridge position when in the front of your 4 step
Things to remember:
- Use the power from your sweep to rotate all the way to a one leg tucked position
- Is sweeping with your right leg you should land on your left arm after the sweep and vice versa for the left leg sweep
- You do not need to jump super high (the lower, the easier it will be to get around)