How to train your designer eye & develop your design skills
What you'll learn
- Learn a framework for developing your design skills
- Learn how to collect design inspiration and what to collect
- Develop an eye for good design
- Learn how to analyze UI designs
- Establish a workflow for researching design patterns and good practices
- Discover the most effective ways of practicing and experimenting
- Understand that UI design is learnable, it is not only for the "talented" ones
- No previous experience needed, it is suitable for complete beginners
- Whether you are a student, a beginner or a more experienced professional, learning how to train your designer eye in a systematic way will boost your skills as a UX, UI or product designer
You'll learn how to consistently improve your design skills by continuously getting inspired by the offline & the digital world around you, and by building a habit around collecting design inspiration, analyzing UI designs and practicing our design craft.
I'll explain how to collect and analyze designs and practice designing user flows, layouts and UI elements: I will show you some effective techniques, my favorite resources, and I'm going to give you many-many practice activities. As a result, you'll have an approach or framework for train your designer eye on a daily basis.
getting inspired by the offline & the digital world around you
collecting design inspiration
analyzing UI designs
practicing and experimenting
conducting UX audits (coming soon)
This course is for your if
you read a lot about design theory, but there is a gap between your theoretical understanding and practice, or
you completed a design bootcamp (or you are in the process of completing one) but you don't have a plan for developing your designer eye on a consistent basis, or you just simply
need a systematic approach to develop your skills
You are in the process of getting into design or
You are a designer or researcher who wants to work on UI or visual design skills
You are a student who needs some guidance
You just simply want to train your designer eye,
I’m confident that you’ll greatly benefit from this course.
This course is NOT
This is not a comprehensive design curriculum, review what is included in the course before purchasing it.
I won't teach you how to use a certain design tool (e.g. Figma or Sketch). However, you'll find most of the practice activities inside a Figma file, so it is easier to complete the assignments if you have a Figma account (it is free).
The course is not about an end-to-end UX/UI design process.
I'm a design mentor and teacher with 10+ years of professional experience, and throughout my years I've noticed that many designers don't know how to develop their design (UX, UI and visual design) skills effectively. They attend a bootcamp or some online courses, then they don't really know how they can improve their design skillset.
I wish I had known these tactics and approaches when I was a beginner designer!
If you are searching for a comprehensive, A to Z design course, then this is not the one you are after. However, my suggestion is that you should still apply this as a complementary course (e.g. if you are in the process of completing a design bootcamp), I promise that you will find a lot of gems inside it!
My goal is to constantly improve the course material, the first update is going to be a new section about UX Audits!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner UX designers, Beginner UI designers, Beginner product designers
- UX designers, UX researchers, Content designers who want to work on UI design or visual design skills
- Beginners who are in the process of completing a bootcamp - I believe that the mindset and framework shared here'll greatly complement your studies!
- Design bootcamp graduates who need some guidance on how to develop an eye for design
- Designers wanting to learn a framework or systematic approach about training their designer eye
I'm Krisztina Szerovay, lead product designer with 10+ years of professional experience. I come from a family of teachers and engineers, so the value of knowledge-sharing and designing complex systems have always been apparent to me.
Teaching is not a profession for me, it is a passion, and I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to reach and help students from all over the world. If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback, please contact me! I believe that teaching itself is an ongoing learning process.
Next to design, I also did legal writing and research. I consider myself a generalist, I always utilize a multidisciplinary approach during my work, connecting the dots to achieve the best result possible.
I’m a freelance full-stack developer with more than 20 years of experience. I have been always interested in learning about the newest available technologies, and I love to get inspired by them. My goal with teaching is to show my findings and experiences, to provide solutions.
I’ve worked on a wide range of projects including frontend and backend web development, system administration, MS Office automation and data science.
If you have any questions (in connection with my courses or in general), don’t hesitate to ask, I have always been thinking about developers as a community of motivated peers.