How to talk to camera with confidence, warmth and look good
What you'll learn
- The ability to craft a powerful message that speaks your passions to your audience
- Find your balance between tightly scripting versus making it up as you go
- Build confidence infront of the camera, even if you're shy
- Become comfortable with the camera and be able to speak to it as if it's a person
- Memorise your lines with a technique specific to recording yourself on camera
- Learn the special technique for making your voice sound interesting on camera
- Tips on locations, camera positioning, lights, and microphones
- Tune your body posture and hand movements to look engaging and professional
- Absolutely captivate your audience with a strong and warm on-screen presence
- A behind-the-scenes tour of Ricky's equipment setup, preparation, and filming process
- A whole load of positive motivation for you to step up and record yourself
- An instructor dedicated to answering your questions and helping you grow
- Access to a video camera of some sort (even a basic webcam or your phone)
Would you like to record yourself as a talking head, talking directly to camera for a YouTube video, website intro, Kickstarter promo, or perhaps your own online course?
Are you completely freaked out by the thought of recording yourself? Or perhaps you've got confidence, but are looking to refine your technique and camera presence?
This course is designed to get you up and comfortable in front of camera, and to speak with confidence and warmth.
How does it work?
An engaging camera presence is a mixture of technique, comfort, camera setup, and a well crafted message that you believe in. All of this can be learnt, refined, practiced and achieved.
The great thing about video is that you don't need to get it right the first time - you can try and retry as often as you like, and people only ever see the bits that you decide to release.
I recently launched a course about creating online courses, and every bit of feedback I received included glowing compliments about my engaging camera presence. The thing they didn't see is how many times I forgot my lines, or scratched my nose and decided to re-take.
What they did see was the result of my years of experience in filming and training presenters, helping talented by shy people to step up to camera, and of course my own experience in talking to camera.
In this course, I lead you through the steps that have worked for me and others I have helped to captivate an audience on camera.
These steps start days before you start your "real" filming, by helping you refine your message, get comfortable with the idea of talking to a camera, develop your speaking tone, and a method for practicing that's far better than simply talking to the mirror or a friend.
As you get closer to filming, the course also explores a range of tools and ways you can setup your camera, lights and sound to evoke a particular mood, and even explores how clothes and sleep can affect your videos.
You will get coaching on your body posture, how and when to emphasise your voice, and what to do with your hands.
Each lesson in this course gives you practical skills that can help you improve your camera presence, starting from right now.
Remember that taking this course now gives you access for life, and this is indeed a living course, where I'll be on hand to answer questions, keep you motivated, and create bonus extra lessons based on your feedback.
Hope to see you inside, and let's get started on improving your camera presence!
Who this course is for:
- Anybody looking to talk to camera in a confident and engaging way
- People wanting to talk to camera to make a YouTube clip, an online course, a website intro, or a Kickstarter promo
- People who are camera shy
- People who can present well in person, but don't feel like their presence comes across well on camera
- Anybody looking for tips and tricks on a good filming setup (lights, location, camera angle, sound)
- People who can't understand why all their practicing in front of the mirror doesn't translate to good camera presence
Hello :) My name is Ricky, and I run a creative and educational technology studio in Australia.
I have been working professionally in online learning design and digital media production for just over 16 years, for small businesses, the Federal Government, museums, and one of the world's top 20 universities. I have also led education and media production teams, and have mentored many early career designers and online learning developers.
I have been teaching these skills to others for years, and am proud to have the chance to teach and work with you through Udemy.
My courses here are aimed at normal people who want to do awesome things. I present them with expert knowledge and experience, and in a very understated and casual professional way that respects you as a real person and learner, rather than shouting lectures at you or waffling on and on.
Hope to see you in one of my courses some time soon :)