How to Succeed in your Security Career
What you'll learn
- At the conclusion of this course, the learner will understand the evolving nature of private security and the role of the corporate security leader.
- Learn how to identify various customer groups and manage their security expectations
- Provide a holistic definition of modern corporate security
- Explain the concept of "convergence" between information security and physical security
- Define security metrics and their importance to a successful security program
- Describe the role and suggested comptenancies of the Chief Security Officer (CSO)
- Evaluate your current competivness and prepare an appropriate professional development plan to increase your chances of success as a security professional.
- Internet Access
- Speakers- Sound Card
In this course, the instructor shares his experience and "lessons learned" during a successful career in corporate security. The course is largely video-based and consists of 15 lectures. Each lecture focuses on current trends and challenges facing current and future security professionals. These include, managing customer expectations, the concept of security convergence, the importance of metrics and the emerging role of the Chief Security Officer (CSO). Free educational resources are also provided.
This course will be of value to anyone seeking a career in the growing field of security-- and specifically the corporate sector. It will help the learner understand commonly required competencies, assess their competitiveness, and develop a professional development plan for future success.
Who this course is for:
- This course is ideal for those already working in private security and desiring to advance their careers to the managerial/professional level.
- Criminal Justice majors and others will find the course of value as they investigate career options other than public law enforcement.
- Those seeking "second careers" (i.e. retiring police and military personnel) will find the course a valuable resource as they prepare to transition to the private sector.
- Business professionals in related disciplines such as Human Resources, Safey, and Risk Management will find the course useful to learn about security's role in the organization.
I have over 40 years experience as a security professional in a diverse array of environments, including military, Fortune 500 high-technology firms, homeland security, and most recently, as the director of security for a metropolitan hospital network.
I have taught graduate-level security management as an adjunct faculty member of Webster University. I served 20 years in the United States Air Force in a number of capacities, including security, intelligence, and air operations. I have also served as a logistics advisor to two foreign governments (Canada and the Republic of Singapore)
Internationally published, my work has appeared in a wide-array of trade and professional periodicals, including Security Management, Police, and Airpower Journal.
Education includes a BA (summa cum laude) in Criminal Justice from Rowan University and a Masters of Public Administration (MPA) from Troy State University.
Professional credentials include the Certified Protection Professional (CPP) designation under the auspices of the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS, International)
Additionally, I maintain the credential of Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA) under the authority of the International Foundation for Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS).
Finally, I am the author of Udemy's course, How to Succeed in your Security Career, which is currently nearing 2,000 global students.