How to Self Publish a Nonfiction Kindle eBook Like a Pro
- 3 hours on-demand video
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand how to self publish an eBook on Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)
- Improve eBook manuscript quality through editing and proofreading functions
- Create an eBook title, subtitle, categories, keywords, and book description to improve eBook's visibility online
- Know how to prepare a Microsoft Word document for publishing on KDP
- Set realistic goals for sales and royalties
- Determine an eBook price
- Evaluate basic book promotion opportunities available through Amazon/KDP
- Amazon KDP Account
- Microsoft Word program loaded on computer and have basic level skills using it
If you have never self published an eBook, or you've been disappointed with your previous endeavors, this course is for you! We will be focusing specifically on self publishing nonfiction eBooks through the Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) platform.
We'll be going through the self publishing process step by step. But before we launch into publishing, we'll cover all the pre-publishing preparation steps and thought processes so that you can make your eBook the best it can be. Here are just some of the topics we'll discuss:
- Questions you need to answer before you even think about self publishing.
- Editing and proofreading (there is a difference between the two!) and why they're both important.
- Formatting your eBook manuscript with Microsoft Word.
- Using SEO techniques to create a great title, subtitle, and book description to help your eBook more easily get found.
- Creating an eBook cover on the cheap.
- Advertising opportunities available through KDP and Amazon Marketing Services.
- Building your author platform with blogs and social media.
I'm Dr. Heidi Thorne, MBA/DBA, a nonfiction book editor and author of over 20 self publishing print books and eBooks on the topics of business, marketing, and self publishing. Previously, I was a trade newspaper editor for over 15 years and taught for 5 years at the college level. So I have a lot of writing and publishing experience and insight that I'd like to share with you in this course.
Of course, I have to disclose that while I will be sharing what I've learned from working with the Amazon KDP platform over the years, I am not affiliated with, hired, endorsed, or approved by Amazon and/or KDP. However, I do receive associate advertising compensation and/or royalties from Amazon, Createspace, and KDP as part of my normal course of business.
Ready to make your eBook into something great for you and your readers? Sign up and let's get started!
- Authors who have never self published a nonfiction eBook
- Authors who have unsuccessfully tried self publishing a nonfiction eBook and need to review fundamentals
A welcome message from your instructor, Dr. Heidi Thorne, MBA/DBA. Course goals and agenda are also reviewed.
Kindle Create is a free tool from Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) that helps authors format a Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx) into a Kindle-friendly file, ready for publishing on KDP for both a Kindle eBook and print edition. I offer my review of the tool and recommend that authors use it instead of formatting and uploading an MS word document.
IMPORTANT! ONLY VIEW THIS VIDEO AND LECTURE RESOURCES IF YOU ARE NOT USING KINDLE CREATE! View the lecture, "Using Kindle Create to Format Your Kindle eBook" AND the suggested resource videos from Amazon KDP BEFORE you decide to format your eBook the hard way with the Microsoft Word tips shown in this lecture!
Building on the earlier discussion on SEO, we'll discuss how to create a book description that helps your readers find your book.
The right price can make or break an eBook sale. While the video quickly reviews the components that go into setting a price, the reading assignment is the main learning activity of this lecture. In the reading assignment, the KDP Pricing Support tool--which helps Kindle eBook authors set an optimal price--is introduced. Note that KDP Pricing Support (as of this writing) is in beta mode, but well worth checking out.
Discover where you Amazon Marketing Services Kindle eBook ads appear. Also learn about a new targeting option for Product Display ads. Suggest viewing the "Book Promotions: Pre-Order, Free eBook and Amazon Marketing Services" course video prior to viewing this.
Sales forecasting is tough for even the most seasoned of sales and marketing professionals. This video offers some basic sales forecasting insight. However, the worksheet (in resources) will be a simple and valuable tool for tracking eBook sales activity.
Reviews can help sell eBooks. But what do you do when you get squeaky wheels and trolls who submit negative reviews? Learn to glean valuable feedback from even negative reviews.