Move A Wordpress Website from Local to Live
- a locally hosted wordpress website
- a computer and a brain
Creating a local WordPress website comes with a lot of advantages like speed of development, no waiting time for uploads and easy access to the site files. However the downside is when you have to move your work of web art onto the a live server.
These screencasts show you how to buy a domain, setup hosting, move the website live and submit to Google. So enjoy these 30 minutes of screencasts and learn how to move a WordPress website from local to live.
Step by Step of Moving a Local Wordpress Site LIVE
- Search for domain name and use domain suggest if you need help
- Purchase the domain using services like GoDaddy or NamesCheap
- Setup hosting either by purchasing a new account or doing an addon domain
- Copy the nameservers details from the hosting to the domain (simmer for 10 minutes to 2 days)
- Zip local files and upload via filemanager in cPanel then expand the directory
- Use the phpMyAdmin to export the local database
- Use Notepad++ or Mac equivalent to open the SQL file and find and replace “http://localhost” with “http://www.yourwebsite.com”
- Create MySQL database, create the user, add the user to the database
- Edit the wp-config and change the local details to the new database
- With your website ready add the sitemap plugin and submit to the Google webmaster tools
- Register for Google Apps and then add the tracking script to your theme
- Double check all the pages on your site, grab a coffee and congratulate yourself
- wordpress beginners
- web designers
- graphic designers uploading their portfolio
- anyone wanting to put a wordpress website live
- 1. Buying Domain & Setting Up Hosting09:42
- 1. How to Setup Hosting and a Domain03:10
- 2 Uploading The Wordpress Theme & Database15:00
- Preparing and Uploading The WordPress Files03:37
- 3 Submitting To Google11:32
- Sitemap to Submission, Verification to Congratulations02:37
Carl is the founder ofand a UX consultant for the United Nations. At Web Courses Carl teaches Web Design and Online Marketing to people from all around the world. He has been designing websites for over 16 years and is passionate about creating usable designs and creative online marketing strategies for WCB and their clients.
Accessibility is a big passion of Carl's and has spoken at UN conferences on Inclusive Business around South East Asia. Recently he has been invited to give Social Media Marketing advise to UNAIDS as part of a new Asia campaign.
When not UX`ing, HTML'ing or teaching there is nothing more Carl likes than a blank canvas on Adobe Photoshop, a tool he has been using since version 3.0!